Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the date/Time good?
YES I WILL BE THERE TO EAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY
71.43%
NO...AND WHO's MERRY?
28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

NJ/NY Metro get2gether @ Cubby's - Saturday October 13th

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007 | 01:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

How far out are these drive routes going to take us? Dont mind going for a ride afterwards, but also dont want to be on the other end of New Jersey when we are done!
Old 09-28-2007 | 03:01 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
How far out are these drive routes going to take us? Dont mind going for a ride afterwards, but also dont want to be on the other end of New Jersey when we are done!
DUDE STOP BEING A BABY. I'll help u get home. gezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by Leslie.
^^LOL. You make it sound so appealing!

Yes, I'm happy to put a drive route together if no one else wants to. How does a shot up into the mountains of Harriman State Park or Bear Mountain sound? Or perhaps just straight up old Route 17 North through Sloatsburg, etc., up to the Monroe/Sterling Park area?

Any suggestions or particular wants?

(PS, I said it last time, but I can't freaking wait. We ARE going to make it this time, both of us, with both of our cars, even if we have to dump fevered children on an unsuspecting grandpa. )
Anywhere around there sounds like fun. thats like 15min away from my crib lol my dad got a speed ticket going 5mph over the freaking speed limit.
Old 09-28-2007 | 03:24 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Harriman SP or Bear Mt. are both great choices. I haven't been to either in a really long time but I do remember that the scenery is wonderful. We should see plenty of color up in the mountains which will make the trip even more worthwhile. You can count me in for a drive to either destination. I hope everone makes the drive to enjoy some great natural beauty and some nice twisty roads.
Old 09-28-2007 | 05:25 PM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well all right! You guys are making it so easy!

Don't worry, Techno Duck. We're not going to the other end of the state...we're going to the near end!

This route is probably about 20 miles north of the Hackensack GTG location. We'll end up pretty much at the northeast corner of NJ/southeast corner of NY state. At a good clip, it's pretty shortish drive, but with great scenery and nice twisties.
Old 09-28-2007 | 05:51 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Harriman is only like 2min away from the thruway
Old 09-28-2007 | 08:06 PM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There's that, too.
Old 09-30-2007 | 07:46 PM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Decisions, decisions.

The Guy and I took a test drive this afternoon to stretch his car's legs and get a sense of time and distance for the route I have in mind. Well, I have two versions of the drive in mind, and wanted to know how long and far you guys want to drive? I also wondered what activities or stops anyone is particularly interested in, if any.

There is the Red Apple Rest, as mentioned above, which I was thinking would make a nice end-of-the-twisties stop for sodas and restroom breaks before breaking off to our respective destinations. But if anyone was interested in coming home a conquering hero to their wives, we could also schedule a stop at the farmer's market up there on Route 17 just before you run into Sloatsburg, after the run and the pitstop. Ok, coming from the run it would be just after Sloatsburg, I guess, on southbound 17.

The route we ran today was about 70 miles, but that was with a starting point of the southern tip of Route 208, where I live. It is probably another 10 miles of crappy traffic roads from Cubbys, I'd guesstimate, to our starting point. And the trip included a section of road up in Harriman that eventually crossed over Route 17 N/S, right at Route 17A, which we repeated going back.

Whew! That was a fuu-uun road! We had a pearl colored 944 who was laying into it with us up the straights on 7 Lakes Road, but who got stuck behind a slow mover and was lost for a bit. He found us again, while we were giving directions to a couple of stoners who were lost and couldn't find their way back out of the park and were parked in the middle of the road at the big circle flagging people down. Anyway, the 944 was just about on our *** through the whole stretch of twisties we found. He didn't do so well against us on the straights earlier. The supercharger does its job well. The 944 finally turned off onto 17, while we crossed over it and then made a U turn up ahead. Anyone here?

Anyway, at that point we could have gotten on 17 S right there, because I believe we were already north of Red Apple, and it would have taken us directly to it, but instead, that road in the park was so much fun we turned around and doubled back into the park and reversed our course in, ending back at 7 Lakes Road and Route 17, where we had entered. It would have been a right turn to go to Red Apple at that point, but we turned left and headed back home. By the time we got back to our starting point, an hour and a half had passed, and we'd clocked just about 70 miles even.

Our route was north up 208 to Skyline Drive, took that to Greenwood Lake Road, then to Route 17 North, right on 7 Lakes Road into Harriman, then I think it was Welch Lake road that took us further north to where it met up with 17 N/S again. If we simply caught 17 from there to Red Apple, I believe that would cut at least 10 miles right there, but since we didn't and went back through the park, I'm not sure. (I didn't clock each section of the trip, but we're going to run it again next week, with some variations, and I'll remember to do so then.)

So who wants to do what? Do you care if we double back over part of the trip, or is this route too long? Not long enough? Or were you guys dying to go to Bear Mountain instead? I don't want to overdo it my first time out as "social drive director". Give me some guidance!
Old 09-30-2007 | 11:29 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would prefer the slightly shorter route but that's just because I will likely not have one of my little ones with me and I'd like to minimize the time my wife has to battle both of them solo.....that is unless I take my son along.....mmmmmm....maybe!
Old 10-01-2007 | 08:33 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Just for some back ground...because I know you weren't really able to make the last one.

Last time we BS'd for a while (looked at each others cars, etc.). Then we went in and ate and BS'd more. Then back outside for more BS'ing. By the time anyone suggested a ride, everyone pretty much had to leave.

So if we are going to go for a drive, someone ....(Leslie).....is going to have to manage the time and keep everyone on some sort of schedule.

The farmers market may not be a bad idea to make this a "wife friendly" get together.
Old 10-01-2007 | 08:40 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Is there anything for a 22 year old single male to do at the farmers market? Think there will be any young, single 20-23 year old females...?

I would rather do the shorter route, but honestly would go on any one aslong as nothing comes up.
Old 10-01-2007 | 09:42 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Is there anything for a 22 year old single male to do at the farmers market? Think there will be any young, single 20-23 year old females...?

I would rather do the shorter route, but honestly would go on any one aslong as nothing comes up.
Maybe you can find a 20-23 year old farmer,
Old 10-01-2007 | 10:05 AM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by J Berk
I would prefer the slightly shorter route but that's just because I will likely not have one of my little ones with me and I'd like to minimize the time my wife has to battle both of them solo.....that is unless I take my son along.....mmmmmm....maybe!
We are bringing both of our kids along, one in each of our cars. Bring your kid...my kids will be happy to keep him/her entertained. That will also keep your wife in better shape upon your return with the fresh veggies that will make her love you even more!
Originally Posted by arbeitm
Just for some back ground...because I know you weren't really able to make the last one.

Last time we BS'd for a while (looked at each others cars, etc.). Then we went in and ate and BS'd more. Then back outside for more BS'ing. By the time anyone suggested a ride, everyone pretty much had to leave.

So if we are going to go for a drive, someone ....(Leslie).....is going to have to manage the time and keep everyone on some sort of schedule.

The farmers market may not be a bad idea to make this a "wife friendly" get together.
LOL...ok, guess I'm elected Den Mother as well as Social Drive Director this time? I have no problem with shooing people out the door for a fun drive, if everyone promises not to consider me a pushy b#*%& for it...

Ummm...maybe not. But do you still live at home with your folks? Because you can still be a conquering hero and bring fresh veggies home to Mom...she's female, so she'll still appreciate it!
Originally Posted by jeeper31
Maybe you can find a 20-23 year old farmer,
Hey, you never know, you might get lucky...

Sounds like so far the trend is for a shorter ride...so we can make it a little shorter by cutting out just the reverse part of the trip back through the park, and just going back down 17S, or we can make it a lot shorter by also clipping the 208/Skyline Drive portion of the run. I guess it doesn't really have to be decided right now, either way. That could be left until the day to see what everyone's schedules look like.
Old 10-01-2007 | 11:00 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

I know this might be tough but can anyone map this out on google earth or something. I am a visual guy.
Old 10-01-2007 | 12:51 PM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll try to get to that later on today, Jeeper.
Old 10-01-2007 | 02:14 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Leslie.
I'll try to get to that later on today, Jeeper.
Thanks Leslie. That would be great.

Quick Reply: NJ/NY Metro get2gether @ Cubby's - Saturday October 13th