Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutting your n/a fenders to fit a turbo bumper..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting your n/a fenders to fit a turbo bumper..?

So I'm looking at buying what I think is a good deal on a 951 front bumper and I was wondering, aside from buying new fenders to fit the bumper, has anyone tried cutting the n/a fenders to fit? I have the tools to do it, I'm just wondering if it would look okay if done right. It would save me about $300 so its worth a try. Btw, I already know I'll be needing the turbo headlight covers, nose panel, bumper shocks etc. I'd also rather cut the fenders than the bumper since the fenders for me would be cheaper to replace.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Looking for measurements:

A
B

If anyone has these offhand.. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

I'm in the same predicament. I'd love to hear your outcome.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the header panel and light covers are different as well.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

IIRC Rock did this on his old yellow car
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

OK, I could copy the text or a link to the thread. I chose text. Search for "fender" in threads started by Tifosiman. The pictures are gone but the thread is still there.
Originally Posted by Tifosiman
The fenders were a little bit of work. I made a template of the bumper cover's shape (where it connects to the fenders) out of thin single-ply cardboard. Then traced that outline on the 944 fender to indicate the profile change. I then took a dremel and cut away the little tabs in the corners where the front of the N/A spoiler bolts (you'll see what I mean when you have it apart). Then I took a pair of pliers and two 1/4" thick flat pieces of hardened steel stock and sandwiched the part that I needed to remove, and bent it up and out of the way to match the profile. This way there is a lip there and it looks "factory". The only downside is the fact that the red paint was brittle and cracked away at the bend. So I had to touch it up. Eventually the whole car will be painted anyway, so it's no bid deal to me. Take those instructions on how to modify the fenders with caution. I don't want anyone screwing up their fenders and being upset with me. If this kind of stuff is scary, you may want to consider to have a body shop do this step of the project.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Awesome, thats exactly what I was going to do. I saw Rocks pictures when I did a little search and they looked pretty good. Also as I have posted before, I am aware of the header panel and headlight covers being different, but thats fine because I already have those. I was just worried that I might have to fill in the gap in the n/a fender to conform with the shape of the Turbo bumper rather than cut away from the fender. All in all, it looks pretty straight forward if you know what you are doing. I plan to post pictures once I pick up the bumper and get started. If all goes well I hope to have it done by Monday at the very latest.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Hmm, looks like the guy already has a taker.

If that doesn't work out, anyone in the SF Bay area have a bare Turbo bumper in the neighborhood of $125?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Originally Posted by nh7cy
Hmm, looks like the guy already has a taker.

If that doesn't work out, anyone in the SF Bay area have a bare Turbo bumper in the neighborhood of $125?
Haha! You saw the craigslist ad for the electron blue $125 turbo bumper and $100 Turbo front header. Are you picking up the strut bar?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Lol no, I was just going for the bumper. Apparently someone beat me to it though, which is fine, because I found another one in Guards Red in the same neighborhood price wise. Looks like the project is still a go!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nh7cy
which is fine, because I found another one in Guards Red in the same neighborhood price wise.
Lucky man! I wish I could find one in Zermat Silver. Please post pics of your job.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the Rock's yellow car had the turbo bumper on it when he bought it. I did a conversion for him on his black n/a which turned out ok but wouldve needed a skim coat of filler on the edges- had the car not got parted shortly afterwards. What i did was basically cut the point off the fender then roll the remainder over to fit the bumper contour. Easier to do w/ the bumper partially on the car for reference.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:40 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

I was also thinking of bringing my n/a fenders down to EASY or something and tracing the outline of the turbo fenders on them, then cutting from there. Of course, I would be more than happy if they were interested in trading them plus a little cash.. Nah, I'd rather have a project!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Ok, got the Turbo bumper on, took about 2 hours from removing the old bumper, lower valence, etc. to cutting the fenders and putting on the new Turbo bumper. Btw, I'm still trying to locate the exact solder points on the 83' header panel so I can remove it, then locate a Turbo header panel and place it on the car, for now, it looks pretty bad seeing as the lines don't flow AT ALL.

Here goes..

I started out by placing the bumper on the car, then tracing the outline of the bumper against the fenders (I decided against removing the fenders and tracing them against Turbo fenders for reference.

After the lines had been traced on both fenders, I pulled out my Dremel and my special cutting wheel (those of you with Dremels know which one I'm talking about, the really thick ones). I then removed the bumper and cut the fenders accordingly.

I then placed the bumper back on the car, making sure everything lined up, then continued smoothing out the fenders.

Right front side of car.

Leftover parts.

Finished product!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:20 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Damn, that aint bad.

Quick Reply: cutting your n/a fenders to fit a turbo bumper..?