Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nor Cal-5th Wentworth Springs-Ice House Road Run-September 8th

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007 | 05:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks like it was a fun one, I'm glad to hear everyone made it home OK and there was no car trouble. I hope I can make it to the next one, but I won't know for sure until later.
Old 09-09-2007 | 06:37 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Sorry for bailing out and not letting you know steve. I hope you guys weren't waiting for me or anything.

I was up till 2 on friday night trying to get the car back together but ended up not being able to get the gauges to show any oil pressure as the engine was cranking over. I ended up priming the oil pump by pouring some oil down the filter neck, and then once I tried actually starting the engine the pressure went up right away as it started. Luckily I did hold out and not start it until today, because I have a huge exhaust leak on the LR two-piece crossover (how in the hell is a v-band clamp supposed to secure anything?) and my coolant gooseneck is spraying fluid all over the stuff under the intake manifold. I switched out the gooseneck with another one, did new gaskets, retorqued the bolts to no end, sanded the mating surfaces down to level, etc, and it coolant is still spraying out between the two pieces. So now my beautifully clean engine has a big puddle of coolant sitting in the valley between the block and balance shaft.

I might have been able to get the car running earlier, but the combination of being stuck working long hours all week and then certain members not stopping by on their way home to the penisula probably didn't help.
Old 09-09-2007 | 03:05 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

If anything can drive me crazy, its when I put an engine back together right after its been cleaned up, then have something really messy happen.

Sorry I couldn't make it, haven't been up to Loon Lake in ages, of course it would have been pretty interesting trying to keep up with all the 951's
Old 09-09-2007 | 03:20 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yo Bill,

Yamabond is your friend! JK, you really should figure out why it's still leaking instead of bandaid fixing.

<< that said, I Yamabonded mine >>
Skaggs in 2 weeks, get it on!

Last edited by Matt Sheppard; 09-09-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2007 | 06:31 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Mine is leaking too. Under 10psi of pressure its hardly noticeable, 15psi a slow but visible stream starts to appear. Mine is not leaking where the two pieces meet but where it mates to the head. I've heard a mixture of the gasket with silicone sealant does well. I've heard the too pieces leak often because the washer used on the lower part is too thick and it keeps the upper piece from tightening down all the way. Did you reuse the original washer? I think I'm going to have a shop drill the bolts out next weekend. I'm hoping that that the neck isn't bent. Let me know what works as I don't want any problems and I really hope to makes the skaggs run with the 951. I also have a small leak where that plastic neck meets the waterpump.
Old 09-09-2007 | 06:50 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith - partially right.

The proper allen head bolts holding the lower unit onto the head are shallow-headed socket-head cap screws, not like other two that mount the upper bleeder elbow. If you or another wrench has used a normal 5mm cap screw, what Keith says could very well be your problem.

I suppose you could file the rear head down to get what you need. I wouldnt go without a washer there.

Bill, check for where the leak is exactly.
Old 09-09-2007 | 06:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I'm always a belt and suspenders type when it comes to sealing anything with water involved. I always coat both sides of the gaskets with a skim coat of RTV with good luck. I've never tried the YamaBond for coolant though, I do know it's great for surfaces exposed to oil and is the same as HondaBond. Hopefully you don't have a crack in the outside thread bore from removing a seized bolt. I had a brand new BMW water neck that had a serious crack that was very hard to see. Water leaks are always the easiest to solve, oil leaks are the bane of these cars IMO.

Old 09-10-2007 | 02:52 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

The leak on my piece is right in the middle of the two pieces below the the pipe section pointing towards the driver side of the car. I tried multiple gaskets, and have tried multiple goosenecks (I have two because the first one was somewhat screwed up by trying to get it plated). No cracks in the peices. The problem with the two pieces mating is in the middle of the flanges and not the ends with the bolts. Though that does make me wonder about the one bolt underneath the pipe section of the top piece, as that is where the water has been spraying out. I'll have to check that.
Old 09-11-2007 | 09:17 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Keith and Matt get 100 rennlist points because they were correct. The problem was that I had the taller allen head bolt as well as a washer beneath the neck of the top piece's pipe neck, which was pushing the piece up a ton and causing it to not seal on the gasket. Stuck in a regular 6-point hex bolt and don't have any issue now.

Now all I have left is rebleeding the clutch and getting this damn v-band clamp/leaking exhaust crossover problem fixed.
Old 09-11-2007 | 09:43 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's great - see you on the 22nd!
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:18 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Anyone interested in doing a run on Sunday? Doesnt anybody else have kids that play sports on Saturday's? My saturdays are booked with soccer games or business travel for a while.
Old 09-13-2007 | 12:50 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

which sunday?
Old 09-13-2007 | 01:04 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I didnt have any specific Sunday in mind. Just wondering if Sunday was off limits for a run. Maybe the 30th or 10/7?
Old 09-13-2007 | 01:09 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I might be up for a drive this sunday to test out my new shocks and tires on the miata before sears point. I have a motorcycle track day on the 30th, the 7th might be open.

Are you going to have the Andial ready by then?
Old 09-13-2007 | 01:58 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
I might be up for a drive this sunday to test out my new shocks and tires on the miata before sears point. I have a motorcycle track day on the 30th, the 7th might be open.

Are you going to have the Andial ready by then?
Leaving this Sunday to Japan...........

Quick Reply: Nor Cal-5th Wentworth Springs-Ice House Road Run-September 8th