Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint prices on Gaurds red and high solids primer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 PM
porscheEH!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint prices on Gaurds red and high solids primer

Just wondered if any of you with painting experience would know what an average price for a gallon of Guards Red paint and a gallon of high solids primer to paint my car?? and is a gallon of each enough to do the whole car?? thats including the activators etc... for the primer and paint

Last edited by porscheEH!; 09-03-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

I am bartering labor with a paint guy I know. The deal is we pay for each other's material cost. He said he needed $250. I'm not sure what he bought, but the car got 3-4 coats color, 3 clear, flex paint on lower parts, rims repainted and cleared, all black trim repainted, rubber spoiler painted (curious to see how that one turned out...), and undercarriage blacked out. I thought that material cost would be much more. Wait till he finds out what my material cost is...
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
porscheEH!
Instructor

lol yea, i forgot about the clear coat, and flex paint?? hmmm never knew about that, So that means i'm looking at Primer,Paint,Clear. Hmm i wonder how much all that would cost
i gotta do the body work too, that'll be fun, i have a sandblaster so it's all good
Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i buy duponts hi fill primer called NASON- its about $50 or so for the primer and activator. The paint i use is called Chromabase- basecoat clearcoat. You can expect about $$300 for the paint, activator and a cheaper dupont clear- if not more its been a year or two since i bought paint. If anyone is interested, i have a half gallon of chromabase guards red- mixed 1:1 with the activator thats a gallon of sprayable paint- i painted my red n/a with this much paint. Its left over from a project i painted for someone. $100 shipped gets it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
I am bartering labor with a paint guy I know. The deal is we pay for each other's material cost. He said he needed $250. I'm not sure what he bought, but the car got 3-4 coats color, 3 clear, flex paint on lower parts, rims repainted and cleared, all black trim repainted, rubber spoiler painted (curious to see how that one turned out...), and undercarriage blacked out. I thought that material cost would be much more. Wait till he finds out what my material cost is...
That is way cheap for complete guards red supplies. Just the base coat costs more then that retail if you're using decent materials. Make sure he isn't using bottom of the barrel supplies like northwestern or sherwin williams. I guess at a minimum I would be using Dupont chromabase or PPG Deltron for a street car.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:02 AM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

I thought it was cheap too. Well, it's too late now!!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished painting my car in gaurds red. I used 5 Dupont paints..from my reciept:

Ful-Poxy HS Epoxy Primer As mixed = 1 gallon 54.80
Nason SelectPrime 2.1 VOC Primer As mixed = 1 gallon 74.12
Ful-Seal Select Acrylic Sealer As mixed = 1 gallon 40.73
FulBase B/C Basecoat Gaurds Red As mixed = 1 gallon 136.20
Nason SelectClear Urethane Clearcoat As mixed = 1 gallon 63.38

NAS selectclear activator 28.53 For BC/CC
NAS medium reducer 13.70
NAS Ful-Poxy Activator 41.40

These are exact prices from NAPA DUPONT in South Bend, Indiana. These quantities where enough to paint the entire exterior, engine bay, and rockers/mirrors, etc. I ended up paying about 480 bucks for that go-round.

Ive also used the MAtrix system:

MAT Quick Sand 2K Primer As mixed = 1 gallon 89.20 (actv. included in price)
MAT Slow hardener 12.53
MAT guards red and clearcoat =1 gallon each 229.25

With the Matrix system (as seen on "pimp my rides") I paid a G-total of 348.51 for all paint and shipping.
http://www.porschehybrids.com/gallery/944-LT1
On the first page of my gallery is the MAtrix System paint. On the bottom of page 6 and all of 7 is the Dupont Nason Paint System. Although the Nason pictures are not wetsanded so you may be able to see a little peel. But I am planning to waterbug the car later. I cant see any difference in gloss or layability. But the ease to work with is all MAtrix. The BC is sprayable from the can (no mixing). But the Nason clear is wonderful to work with. I had no lift or blushing at all the entire 5 coats! Good stuff for overall refinish.

Quick Reply: Paint prices on Gaurds red and high solids primer