Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Steering Column (HELP!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose Steering Column (HELP!!)

It's funny how you don't notice some things until they get pretty bad, such as the fact that I can move my steering wheel (not turn it, guys) in a circular motion, in particular it has probably 1.5-2" of vertical play in it. It feels like an adjustable tilt column on other cars (with a small range of adjustment, comparably).

The wheel can get pretty shakey above, say, 45 or so. On occasion it's made my watch rattle on my left hand from holding the wheel...

I bought new control arms and ball joints a couple months ago, but i have yet to install them. This doesn't seem to be ball joint related, at least entirely. The only clue I can give is that I recently lowered the rear ride height and also ATTEMPTED to remove the passenger control arm for replacement, but was unable to get it out so I just tightened the bolts back up until I can get to it.

I would like to resolve this ASAP because I have class at 9 am tomorrow. I did a search and it seems like U-Joints could be a possible culprit. If so, how safe is it to keep driving on this?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK so wait... It has play in a circular motion AS WELL as up and down?

When I saw the title I planned on telling you that it was the Ujoints on the steering shaft... but that up and down play caught me off guard.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Chwatson
Racer

I finally got a chance to look at it, and the "mount" where the shaft passes through the firewall has some awfully shiney metal on it, leading me to believe that it's developed some play recently. I had a buddy move the wheel around (it does move in a circular motion, but PARTICULARLY up and down, where it has more play than side-to-side). There doesn't appear to be much problem with the joints themselves, but the mount I described does worry me somewhat. It doesn't look like much could come of it, however, because with the joint being so close, it doesn't look like it could pull through into the firewall, and with the steering column there, I doubt it could pull into the engine compartment, either. Does anyone have any experience with busted firewall mounts like this?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Interestingly enough, when the steering lock engages when I shut off the car, the wheel becomes rock solid (I can still turn it side to side like you normally can, but I can't make the steering column shift)
Old 09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chwatson
[...]the "mount" where the shaft passes through the firewall has some awfully shiney metal on it, leading me to believe that it's developed some play recently.[...]
Originally Posted by Chwatson
Interestingly enough, when the steering lock engages when I shut off the car, the wheel becomes rock solid (I can still turn it side to side like you normally can, but I can't make the steering column shift)
Those two things seem to add up. I've never had to do any work on this in my car, but from looking at it while working around the area, the steering wheel lock seems to clamp in a way that would prevent the wheel from moving up and down/side to side. So that's a pretty good indication that the shiny metal you're looking at is at least pointing you in the right direction.

Maybe part #21? ($7.45 - gotta love that)
Old 01-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Chwatson
Racer

resurrecting this thread....

the problem is still going on. i think i'll order that part soon and try to fix it. anyone know the difficulty factor in pulling the steering column (which i presume you have to do)?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

i am also bringing this thread back to life. i was going to post a new thread because i have the same issue but a search before posting yielded this thread. explains exactly what happens in my 944. anyone have experience with replacement of part #21?

Quick Reply: Loose Steering Column (HELP!!)