Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I keep stripping sunroof gears?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Why do I keep stripping sunroof gears?

The Clark's Garage write up is a little confusing but this is what I did.

I installed the roof, pushed the button so the motor rotated to the full up position. Then I pushed the down button to the locked position. With the roof removed I placed the lifting arms in place, counted the teeth and marked them as directed. I then installed the new gears and arms. With the ignition in position one I retracted the arms as if to remove the roof and the gears stripped when it was supposed to stop. Why is this happening?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

For whatever it's worth, mine will always stip a gear if I wait for the thing to stop on its own. Instead, I just watch the arms retract until they're far back enough to remove the roof. Not proper, but less time consuming than tracking the problem, especially for as little as I remove the roof.

BB.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you checked the limit switches to make sure that they function properly?

-Darwin
Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set the slip clutch (I loosen until it will no longer retract, then tighten just a hair).
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S
Have you checked the limit switches to make sure that they function properly?

-Darwin
It's my understanding that the limit switches only work for the raised and locked position. It seems to be doing this just fine.

For sunroof removal the arms act as a mechanical stop. Someone check my understanding of this please.

Originally Posted by gtroth
Set the slip clutch (I loosen until it will no longer retract, then tighten just a hair).
I'll give that a try. After I get another gear.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is the same and I simply watch them go down and then stop hitting the button. Again easier than messing with it more than I have to. It works perfectly other than that. I just learned to live with it.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd *seriously* consider picking up a set of manual latches and doing away with the over engineering that Porsche did on this. The manual latches work about as fast as the motorized crap.

Regards,
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarks Garage
In cam position 1, the lifting arms are fully retracted back against the body of the sunroof so that the sunroof can be removed from the car. This is referred to as the "released" position. In this particular instance, both Limit Switches I and II are made. Limit Switches I and II are ganged together and can only be adjusted together. Limit Switch I is the bottom switch and Limit Switch II is the top switch. They function to stop the lifting arms in the "locked" position. If the lifting arms are in the released position and both limit switches are not made or are not functioning properly, the lifting arms can not be moved to the "locked" position.

I took this straight off Clarks Garage. In the picture, when the cam is in position 1, it stops the arms from moving any more after they fully retract so you can take them out. I'd start there and check that limit switch. I've had my sunroom motor out so many times...my arms won't retract at all. My problem is a power issue with not enough getting to the relay to retract. Hopefully this helps!

-Darwin
Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
I'd *seriously* consider picking up a set of manual latches and doing away with the over engineering that Porsche did on this. The manual latches work about as fast as the motorized crap.
At the moment I am tempted. But I have this "thing" about having everything work the way it was intended.

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S

I took this straight off Clarks Garage. In the picture, when the cam is in position 1, it stops the arms from moving any more after they fully retract so you can take them out. I'd start there and check that limit switch. I've had my sunroom motor out so many times...my arms won't retract at all. My problem is a power issue with not enough getting to the relay to retract. Hopefully this helps!

-Darwin
Thanks Darwin. I'll double check to make sure it is hitting position 1. But again, it is my understanding that doesn't stop the motor as my arms do retract all the way. So I assume it is making position 1 but it is a mechanical stop not an electrical one.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

This is what I'm referring to:

With the ignition key in position 1, carefully bump the up arrow on the console switch and watch the lifting arms. They should retract toward the lifting element housing as if you were going to remove the sunroof from the car. Be VERY careful here. Make sure that as you bump the lifting arms toward the retracted position, the round pegs on the lifting arms reach the element housing at the same time. When the pegs hit the housing, it acts as a mechanical stop.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

I think that is the job of the clutch, when it detects splipage (meaning that it reached the mechanical stop) the motor stops.

That's how I understand it but I'm stripping gears also

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
This is what I'm referring to:
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944

Regards,

+1!

I'm so much more happy with the manual latches. Although It's not as cool that I can't just hit a switch and watch it go up.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The switches do not stop the arms while they are retracting (to remove the roof). The slip clutch is supposed to slip and the motor will keep running untill you let go of the switch. The slip clutch does not need to be very tight, if it is, you will strip the gears. Replace the gears and adjust the slip clutch as per the proceedure in Clarks. I think the tourque setting for the nut is ridiculously low; like 4 in-lbs (not ft-lbs)
Basicly, just loosen it untill it always slips, then tighten it just enough to stop slipping when raising the roof, then just a little bit more (like 1/4 turn). Once proprly adjusted the gears should be good for many years...
Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem untill I adjusted the clutch, many years of worry free operation since.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

edit - Never mind.

Still struggling. Now on my second set of gears.

Quick Reply: Why do I keep stripping sunroof gears?