Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Muffler/High Flow Cat w/new pics and Youtube

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Magnaflow Muffler/High Flow Cat w/new pics and Youtube

Inspired by the Borla Thread. Here is a blurry picture of the muffler and one of the cat. My bypass project will have to wait as my system is one unit from exhaust manifold back. That will soon change. Anyway, thanks for looking. I hope someone finds some of it useful. Measurements available upon request .

First video is outside with my daughter's video camera on a pod. Second, an in-car, windows down, tach shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Y5-0V8bGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVs3gqf4Xg
Attached Images       

Last edited by UncleMaz; 08-29-2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Updated Pics
Old 08-29-2007, 03:22 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Bump for new pics.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:28 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow your car really sags when you sat in it.

time for some new springs.

Sounds pretty good though.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

The back is definitely saggy. I need new shocks all around. I also need to lose about fifty pounds.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of car do you have? its an N/A. you have the rear valance so it could be an s2 right?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need a few more colors involved in your intake setup!

Sounds good though
Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by genikz
I think you need a few more colors involved in your intake setup!

Sounds good though
I think it needs a little orange. What do you think?

Made with available parts from multiple money wastings for multiple vehicles. What you can't see is the NPT fitting on the other side of my intake for some NOS action.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
what kind of car do you have? its an N/A. you have the rear valance so it could be an s2 right?
It is an 83 NA with the valence added from a turbo/S2.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninefofo
What you can't see is the NPT fitting on the other side of my intake for some NOS action.
NAWZ!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Is that one of the 1990s integra intake pipes on ebay or something else? I just did the same thing, but with a K&N filter (RU-3570) and bendy silicone piping from autozonal. The filter barely fit in and wouldn't allow the use of the plastic rain guard inside the fender, so I had to make a fiberglass one. It worked out well and the car sounds considerably better than when the filter was right on the AFM.

Oh, and the ghetto-fied bracket for the AFM is only temporary.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Those crazy intakes certainly clean things up, I may give thought to doing it sometime.

I liked the 'ebay motors' sticker on the coolant tank most of all..
Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
RMills944
Drifting

That's the setup I had before going to the SFR system. It just gets too high pitched when really revved.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CameronKame
Those crazy intakes certainly clean things up, I may give thought to doing it sometime.

I liked the 'ebay motors' sticker on the coolant tank most of all..
They came to my house and let me beta test their software while they filmed me being interviewed, etc. for their latest eBay motors interface. I hadn't seen one inside the motor compartment before and I have purchased a number of things from eBay Motors. Anyway, thanks for noticing.

The key to the intake is having a complete stock box and a complete modular crazy one. For that you need an extra AFM and all mounting hardware. This set-up is not good in the rain. However, it really quiets the engine down and air flow seems better at higher revs . Best part is you have so much more room to add an oil cooler and rewire your fans. My oil cooler eats up my washer bottle space. Need longer hoses. Anyway, the next time I photograph my intake pipe, it will be wrapped with hardware store aluminum bubble wrap insulation and zip tied on both ends of the pipe. That stuff works great (I use it on my shift rod). My stainless steel shift **** stays nice and cool.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:52 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTSilver944
Is that one of the 1990s integra intake pipes on ebay or something else? I just did the same thing, but with a K&N filter (RU-3570) and bendy silicone piping from autozonal. The filter barely fit in and wouldn't allow the use of the plastic rain guard inside the fender, so I had to make a fiberglass one. It worked out well and the car sounds considerably better than when the filter was right on the AFM.

Oh, and the ghetto-fied bracket for the AFM is only temporary.
. Not more ghetto than my purple one .

Yes, that is a cut down 1991 Acura Integra intake pipe purchased on eBay for twenty dollars. I bought the long one and cut it down. I bet the short version is a better fit. That purple (Suckas!) adapter I got from 9X Auto before I knew that sticking an oily K and N inches away from the hot fan air and intake/motor was not a good recipe for performance.

I have a good plan for some new piping and special filter set-up, once I set aside the funds and time to do it. As far as installing that piping, for me, it is hard to keep that rubber cover on the side marker light and get in there, but with a foam filter, a trip to the car wash takes good care of the cleaning (pressure wash and wet vac or some carb cleaner).
Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel like you could use another duct or something around that filter.. Something tells me that road dirt clogging up that filter is going to make it equally as restrictive as stock , or worse, in short time. I know you said you can "wash" it.. but you can't just wash out an air filter, wihtout removing it and using a good cleaning solution.

This is just all a guess.. but does anyone else share my worry?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Muffler/High Flow Cat w/new pics and Youtube