Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to pull my power steering crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:41 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's been leaking for a while (like mine) then you'll need engine degreaser for the bottom of the car as well... I used 2 full cans! Unfortunately, I couldn't re-sell hardly anything from mine. I had a leaking rack with shot tie-rod ends, leaky hoses, and a leaky pump as well (yeah it used a LOT of fluid!).

The manual steering is awesome though - I love it! The only bad part is autocrossing coming into a turn HARD on the brakes you can really feel the difference then. Other than that it's not really different!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like your steering without power, thats fine by me. But if not, you can go into Autozone, order a rebuilt 83 rack for $150, install the thing in like 3 hours and be done with the whole damn problem. Oh and BTW, it comes with a life time guarantee. Remember, you have to ask for an 83 to get the $150 price, and yes, they work on the later cars. If I never see another hydraulic acutator seal again, that will be fine too....;]

PS... this is a Herb Steck idea that worked great for me...Bruce
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the advice!

Originally Posted by F18Rep
If you like your steering without power, thats fine by me. But if not, you can go into Autozone, order a rebuilt 83 rack for $150, install the thing in like 3 hours and be done with the whole damn problem. Oh and BTW, it comes with a life time guarantee. Remember, you have to ask for an 83 to get the $150 price, and yes, they work on the later cars. If I never see another hydraulic acutator seal again, that will be fine too....;]

PS... this is a Herb Steck idea that worked great for me...Bruce
If I get the 83 rack, can I use all my existing tie rods and whatnot? Is there anything I need to modify? Or do I JUST replace the rack? (and eliminate the lines and everything else).

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need new ends and a new universal shaft. they are different lengths.
That's if you go with getting an 83 rack.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys. Bringing this one back from the dead because I'm working on a How-To with pictures.

I just wanted to confirm that I need to unscrew this ring to separate the rack assembly to remove the actual toothed steering rack rod:

If so, any advice on how to get this thing loose?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:00 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes it has to be removed to separate the rack. I have used a hammer and a punch. Just have to hold it securely and take your time, threads are RH/standard.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:45 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Great, thanks. Just wanted to confirm before I do any potential damage.

I'll post a detailed how-to when Im done
Old 01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I forgot I've been driving like this for 2 years now.
Good luck with the writeup.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Here's my write-up. It's huge (7MB) but I wanted to include a lot of pictures.

http://www.brooksbabies.com/porsche/...ack-how-to.pdf

I still have some projects to finish before I can put the car back on the ground, but the feel of the rack is nice and smooth, so I'm sure I will be happy with it. Hopefully it will reduce the effort needed in slow speed turns.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice write-up and great pics. I just wanted to mention a few things I have done and have seen included in other procedures. Here is a step from a procedure on another forum.

Valve/pinion drive flats shim - the pinion (gear that engages the rack) and the valve (part connected to the input shaft) are two separate parts that are joined by a torsion bar. With the pump running, when you twist the wheel, the valve senses the amount of torque you're inputing to the rack and provides an increasing amount of assist as the angle of twist in the torsion bar increases. There's usually about 15 degrees of twist allowed before the valve reaches a mechanical stop on the pinion called the drive flats. This mechanical stop is there to limit the max amout of twist in the event of a pressure loss or torsion bar failure. When you disconnect your PS pump, you obviously loose all assist and must now twist the wheel through that 15 degrees or so in either direction before you can apply anything more than a few ft-lbs of torque on the steering wheel. This is a large factor in the "mushiness" felt by those running PS racks without the belt connected. The easy fix is to just take up the free rotation between center and each drive flat. This can be done with shims relatively easily.
I did this on mine, (used short screws instead of shims) so I can’t comment what it would be like without having done this, but thought it was worth mentioning.

The other thing was I made my own caps out of the PS line banjo bolts by grinding them down. Since they are hollow, you can make pretty quick work of them, of course assuming you have a grinding wheel available. A potentially good thing about going this route is makes the area behind the pinion tower smaller physically and may help with installation/removal. Just another way to accomplish the same end.

Again, great write-up, probably belongs in the DIY section.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Good write-up -- though you could have made pictures a little more download friendly.

When I did mine, I plugged in the banjo bolts with some bolts and plugged in the plastic cross-over line with some rubber plugs at a hardware store. Those crimped hardlines look a little ghetto.....
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

I'll try to make the pictures clickable to show the full-res version when I have time.

Agreed, but the back of the rack is not visible, so who cares?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Steve944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kids drove my 86 944 for 18 months with just the belt taken off, never had any problem, seals were leaking real bad, had to refill weekly

Quick Reply: about to pull my power steering crap