Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSDS Headers for Sale $175.00

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 PM
NEAL WRIGHT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSDS Headers for Sale $175.00

Have a spare set of MSDS headers for sale. Never used. $175.00 incl shipping.

http://mall.rennlist.com/login/members/member_ads.htm
Old 08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

I think this is the link you want to use:

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM
NEAL WRIGHT
Instructor

Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Damn. I was looking for Bursch headers...
Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Is this for an NA? Is there a siginficant HP increase? Any other benefit?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Loss of torque, small gain of HP in upper RPM. Maybe 2 HP at the most.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:13 PM
NEAL WRIGHT
Instructor

Mongo

"Loss of torque, small gain of HP in upper RPM. Maybe 2 HP at the most."

Do you have a dyno test to prove this? It is my understanding the headers will provide an increase in both tq and hp. Not a lot, but an increase over stock.

I'd like to see your data, since I'm no expert, backing up the claim of loss in tq.

The biggest advantage is they are new and make a good replacement if your NA stock ones are broken. They are also lighter if that matters to you.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If only they were that cheap for the 951
Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mongo
Damn. I was looking for Bursch headers...
Are the bursch headers better in any way than the msds headers?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does MSDS mean anyway?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 PM
NEAL WRIGHT
Instructor

I personallty think MSDS are better than Bursch. I've owned both.

MSDS stands for Martin Schneider Design Systems
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by NEAL WRIGHT
Mongo

"Loss of torque, small gain of HP in upper RPM. Maybe 2 HP at the most."

Do you have a dyno test to prove this? It is my understanding the headers will provide an increase in both tq and hp. Not a lot, but an increase over stock.

I'd like to see your data, since I'm no expert, backing up the claim of loss in tq.

The biggest advantage is they are new and make a good replacement if your NA stock ones are broken. They are also lighter if that matters to you.

Just to add to this, the only way a header would cause a loss of torque is if the exhaust which compliments the header were of a larger diameter. The header, generally, only improves the flow of the exhaust gases, but does not always affect the amount of back-pressure. THAT is determined by the overall capacity of the exhuast's ability to evacuate. That's determined by pipe diameter, etc. While the tubing might be larger in general, it won't have any negative effect on the torque IF the exhaust piping that attaches to it is of stock size. All it will do is pretty much improve the flow throughout the entire rpms. It's really a win-win situation.

Now, if you take that header, and then attach a "dump" to it directly after it, then yes, you're going to lose a significant amount of torque.

However, if you take that, attach it to a relatively stock 944 exhaust with a nice, high-flow catalytic converter, you'll see an improvement in torque throughout the entire rpm range.

Considering the fact that this 4 cyl is a 2.5, that's pretty decent for being a 4 banger. If someone wanted to spend the time and money, I bet you could really build a screamer out of it by installing larger valves, bumping the compression a bit, and helping it flow.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 08-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Depending on the diameter of the piping after the header, this will cause a torque loss. The factory decided to opt for a 4-2-1 setup to provide effective scavenging that will yield good mid-range torque and power. Going into a 4-1 style header will provide better scavenging and flow in upper RPMs. I am not saying it's a bad header. I have seen some dyno sheets on spec cars that have had some loss of torque with little to no gain in upper RPMs. Someone on here used to have a link to these dyno sheets Neal.

Remember this though: A header on a 944 with software compatible with the header will YIELD AN INCREASE IN POWER. This is why headers are outlawed in Spec 944.

The Bursch vs. MSDS Debate:

This has been stretched not only from this board, but to Pelican Parts and other sub-forums that aren't as popular as Rennlist and Pelican. While people report improvements in exhaust flow for both, there has never really been any hard-information other than theory that one header is better than the other.

Based upon personal experience with a Bursch header, I lost about 2 ft.lbs. torque on a dyno with my 1984 944. Be advised that I also had a cone filter intake on this car at the same time. I did report a 4 HP gain at 5700 RPM. I never got the chance to scan the dyno sheet since i don't have a scanner at my home.

The Design that Best Suits Your Mods

MSDS:
The MSDS header would be recommended for cars that have mid-range to high end power. In my opinion, cars that have an upgraded camshaft such as Webcam and Milledge would best benefit from this header. Cars with individual throttle bodies and shortened runners that yield power increases in the upper end of the power band would also benefit from this too.

Bursch:
IMHO I would say this would be the best choice for a person who just has an exhaust system on his/her 944. It's a great street header that has the 4-2-1 design similar to the factory's exhaust manifold design. Combined with 2.5" piping and a low-restriction muffler, it may produce a minimal amount of HP while also allowing the engine to breathe a little better in upper RPM.

The Chip:

As I had said above, combining headers with a performance chip designed to optimize intake/exhaust gas flow, ignition timing, and air-fuel ratios will yield a power increase. While I never had the experience of combining a performance chip with a header and exhaust system, there are those out there that have (and unfortunately have not spoken up) claimed power increases both on the dyno and noticeably in driveability.

I hope this can clarify any information about headers on here. THERE IS NO BAD HEADER BETWEEN MSDS AND BURSCH REGARDING FLOW. IT JUST DEPENDS ON YOUR CAR'S POWERBAND.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Considering the fact that this 4 cyl is a 2.5, that's pretty decent for being a 4 banger. If someone wanted to spend the time and money, I bet you could really build a screamer out of it by installing larger valves, bumping the compression a bit, and helping it flow.
You mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWppHQ5UWCk
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just got them in the mail today. Thanks Neal. Pleasure doing business with you. Off to the muffler shop.

Quick Reply: MSDS Headers for Sale $175.00