Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Reliable Shops In MA for Belt Job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007 | 12:36 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Default Any Reliable Shops In MA for Belt Job?

Looking for a shop in MA to do belt and rollers. I dare not do it myself since I dont have the tools or the experience changing belts.
Old 08-27-2007 | 01:10 AM
The_Remora
Pro

I've had good experiences with Autobahn Performance in the past, used them about 1/2 dozen times. Independent Porsche tuner shop / repair garage, they are on Rt-1 N (behind a plaza) within a mile of where Rt-1 crosses Rt-95, I think its in Peabody. Bernie was the name of the shop manager IIRC.

Actually from quick search, here is their website: http://www.autobahnperformance.com/index.htm
Old 08-27-2007 | 01:48 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Hey man thanks alot, did you ever get your belts changed there, how much did it cost if you did?

We should set up a ride with a few other rennlisters, still gotta wait till im on the road though......
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:09 AM
The_Remora
Pro

Hey, glad to help out.

No never got the timing belt changed there. They did do a bunch of other misc stuff though, on my old car, its been a while since I've been down there. They always did good work, reasonable price though, and I would imagine they could knock off a TB job for you at a fairly good rate. Can't hurt to call them up and talk to them about it, ask their est rate for that job.

Sure that would be cool to get a Mass rennlister ride going some time.

Good luck w/ your car, looks nice. My old Suzuki was bright yellow like taht, man I loved that bike.
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:09 AM
greenshoes3
Pro

if you have a car younger than 87 like me, belts are a cake walk. no special tools required.

except a flywheel lock......
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:16 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

ya i got an 84, but i still wouldnt trust myself doing it, i would just kill myself if i messed it up and bent the valves.

And ya i actually wasnt looking for yellow but you couldnt beat the deal i got on this car. 3000$ 99k miles, no oil or PS leaks, new breaks, new clutch, he put mint condition phone dials on it too. Only thing is its running a little hot. Im goona do a rad flush, and if that dosnt work new hoses or maybe radiator. already put a new thermostat in it so thats what i got left for options. Oh and the heater dosnt work either..........but i think its just some sort of connection not hooked up.....i hope....

And my bike is a 1978 Honda CX 500 with 9k original miles on it. It sat for 20 years at my grandfathers, i rebuilt it and it runs like a dream, but boy how i wish for a street bike........

Thanks for the kind words Remora

Ohh...uhhmmm...ACCEPTING DONATIONS FOR CAR REGISTRATION!!!
Old 08-27-2007 | 09:46 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

probably cost you 700-1200 for a belt replacement at a shop. just FYI.
Old 08-27-2007 | 12:17 PM
The_Remora
Pro

Yeah, TB jobs are typically very $pendy if you just drop it off at a shop.

Your best bet imo would be to get someone you know who is fairly competent mechanically to help you do the job, just to give you some confidence to get started and show you some basics. Or you could just go for it. Download the shop manual, get all the right tools (just a flywheel lock in this case, right?), take lots of pics before and during disassembly, use this site as a resource, take your time and you could knock it off in a day or two and learn a lot about your car in the process. Peeps on the 928 board sometimes get togethr to do TB parties, not sure if people over here do that too but its a good idea. (i I would offer but have young baby and would be hard to sell that to the wife right now).

One thing I know about owning these cars is that if you learn to work on it yourself and use available resources that it makes if feasible to own/drive them. If not it can become prohibitively expensive.

I did a TB on a 924 (was fairly easy) but not a 944, probably not too bad. Just mark/align the location of the teeth on the gears before you take the belt off and be meticulous. Use all correct procedures, tools, torque specs etc. I need to do the timing belts on my S4 this fall or winter, plan to do it myself and try to have fun with it.
Old 08-27-2007 | 12:28 PM
The_Remora
Pro

when i mention 'just marking the location of teeth' that assumes the timing correct to begin wiht, definately double check when you get it apart, but probably wouldnt run right if it was wrong to begin with.

and i mean that the flywheel lock is the only 'specialized' tool you need (only costs like 40 bucks, can order online), but you obviously need a decent set of metric tools and the right loctites, sealants etc.

Quick Reply: Any Reliable Shops In MA for Belt Job?