Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM
CDT944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting - Need Advice

I have an '87 944 NA and have been trying to figure out what is causing it to run poorly. In summary it feels like it is running lean and under acceleration it is a little down on power and you can feel it hesitating. It behaves that way whether hot or cold. It is most noticealble under load or acceleration. Once you get to cruising speed it runs smooth although it still seems to be a little under powered. Based on advice from my mechanic I repalced plugs and plug wires, no help. I was checking the referense sensors and the connections literally broke apart in my hands. I replaced both, no help. I have replaced all the vaccum lines (Lindsey), no help. I replaced the O2 sensor, no help. The strange thing is that if you unplug the O2 sensor the car runs great so I believe it is definitely in the fuel delivery system. I pulled the MAF off this weekend tested and cleaned it up per Clarks-Garage and everything checked out, voltage etc. I ordered a new TPS and TB rebuild kit from Paragon this weekend and I going to try that next. I also have ordered intake gaskets and may replace those in case I have an intake leak. My gut tells me it is the MAF but I hate to spend the money only to find out I was wrong. if there is someone in the Austin, TX area that has one laying around that you believe works correctly I would love to borrow it just to see if that is the problem. Any suggestions on where to go next would be greatly appreciated......!! If there is any other info I can provide to help just ask.

Chris
'87 944 NA
Austin, TX
Old 08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tested the DME temp sensor yet>?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM
CDT944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I haven't. My understanding is that they are pretty inexpensive so I may just replace it and rule it out. It hasn't been high on the radar since the problem does not seem to be temperture related, it runs poorly hot or cold. Part of my problem is that I just completely understand how all the pieces fit together, TPS, MAF, Temp sensor, vaccum, ICV, O2 sensor and which one effects what part system.

Also, the PO replaced the DME 2 or 3 years ago so I should be fine there.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris
'87 944 NA
Austin, TX

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting - Need Advice