Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot in the middle, in cabin.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

944online is a great site but there stuff is sooo expensive!

Looks like a very legit site though, so i guess you'll get what you pay for!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
sillbeer
Pro

hey Darwin, Where did you get the cat delete pipe? did you make it yourself? B&B sells an NA cat test pipe for a mere $500+ lol... I figure it can be made for under $100 in materials
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey sillbeer,

Mine actually came with my SFR test pipe. As long as you get a 3'' diameter flange, you can make one real easy tho. Heh...all its made of is pipe!

-Darwin
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by banana944
944online is a great site but there stuff is sooo expensive!

Looks like a very legit site though, so i guess you'll get what you pay for!
Some of their stuff is - some is a good deal.

I've ordered from them many times. Good guys. No need to worry about them being legit.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, if you don't have that metal heat sheild that sits just above the cat (screws to teh under body at front and back of cat and just solely blocks cat heat) it could get hotter.

Also check if your cat is leaking at the front weld like many of them do, that'll do it.

Check if you have that rubber shift boot under your leather one and that it isn't ripped.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
tk's944
Pro

My cat delete pipe only cost me $10 for the pipe at a auto parts store and about $10 for a guy to swell the ends at a muffler shop. Just put the car on jack stands and cut out the cat then measure the outer diameter of the two end they were different on my car, then take it to the muffler shop and have them swell the inner diameter of the pipe ends. Then install
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well... my cat is almost brand new... a little more than 6 months old.
And I know for sure I don't have a rubber boot... but the car didn't even have any leftovers of one when I got it.

What I am going to try to do is make my own heat shield like the thin stock metal one that is under the body of the car.
The plan is to bend a long piece of stainless that would go over the exhaust and under the torque tube and make it as long as I can fit it.
Then before installing it, I plan on covering the top in some heat shield from lindsey and then bolt it in.

And in conjunction to that... is the rubber shifter boot the same for the auto? The leather boot I have is a manual one from Jager egr. and it fits just fine.
I'll probably get a new thermostat too, so I can stay warm in the winter. LOL

~Brett
Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

You would still have the hole cut out where the shifter has to have space to move, and the heat will come right through the hole. You are on the right track with putting in the rubber boot, it was there originally. I went from feeling like a furnace was blowing on my arm to a slightly warm shift boot just by replacing the rubber boot.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

I asked those guys about a rubber thingy for my '87 automatic (I also have a hot fumes through centre console issue) and they said they didn't have any, and also said they're quite rare so good luck finding them.

It's definitely not exhaust fumes, by the way. And the cat is fine (it's new).

I have an oil leak, which splashes onto the exhaust Y-pipe and works its way through the centre console, so I can see the smoke isn't just coming from the shifter, it's coming from close to the firewall (particularly the left-hand side of the passenger's footwell).

Gutting the dash is on my to-do list, the leak is really irritating. On hot summer days long-distance driving becomes pretty damn uncomfortable.

I suspect it's a combination of things ... heat shield above the cat (which I didn't know about ... I'll have to figure out a replacement for the original, which is missing), insulation below the shifter, and I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of rubber cinch-plug things are missing from the firewall, allowing hot air to flow through to the cabin.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would only have to cut a hole for the shifter if I were to place the shield above the drive shaft... I plan on putting it between the exhaust and torque tube.

And I might even go as far as adding insulation under the carpeting but I don't know if that would help or hurt.

Also... would wrapping the exhaust from the headers to the muffler be stupid? My headers are already wrapped from when I had my engine out.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Hot in the middle, in cabin.