Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 painted

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007 | 02:49 PM
944J
Banned

newer front zimmerman cross drilled rotors
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:10 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 944J
so what abou this

NA engine complete

newer koni yellow shocks

the whole suspension parted

the sunroof

the seats

can I find 30 parts equaling $100 each?

can I find 50 parts equaling $100 each?
NA engine complete $ 500.00

newer koni yellow shocks $ 250-300.00

the whole suspension parted $ 200.00

the sunroof $ 50.00

the seats $ 100-150.00

You forget to add the time of parting, packing and shipping, if someone is going to buy your car to profit from parting it out there has to be a marging for profit. $ 1000.00 leaves a small marging, but if you want the 3k, than you will need to part it yourself and be prepare to sweat a lot, parting, packing the parts and shipping them on time. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:22 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

My car is being painted right now and those pictures scared the **** outta' me.
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:25 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by lart951
NA engine complete $ 500.00

newer koni yellow shocks $ 250-300.00

the whole suspension parted $ 200.00

the sunroof $ 50.00

the seats $ 100-150.00

You forget to add the time of parting, packing and shipping, if someone is going to buy your car to profit from parting it out there has to be a marging for profit. $ 1000.00 leaves a small marging, but if you want the 3k, than you will need to part it yourself and be prepare to sweat a lot, parting, packing the parts and shipping them on time. Good luck.
no, I'm not saying for someone to buy it for parting... the only two options are for

1) a non porsche enthusiast to buy it as a project (i.e. someone not on this board)

2) for me to part it myself

why $50 for the sun roof? here is one for $155 on ebay plus $27 shipping. this makes me think your prices are on the low end as what you would want to pay so you can then sell it for a profit (thus not very accurate and not reflective of real market values.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWD1V

here's another for $135 and $55 shipping

here's one without an interior for $105 plus $55 shipping

we all know ebay guys post lower prices and make back their money on shipping costs
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:35 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
My car is being painted right now and those pictures scared the **** outta' me.

I'm not saying that I'm happy with the outcome but you would be happy if you saw the before pictures of the car and didn't have to pay much for it.
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:43 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

no, I'm not saying for someone to buy it for parting... the only two options are for

1) a non porsche enthusiast to buy it as a project (i.e. someone not on this board)

2) for me to part it myself

why $50 for the sun roof? here is one for $155 on ebay plus $27 shipping. this makes me think your prices are on the low end as what you would want to pay so you can then sell it for a profit (thus not very accurate and not reflective of real market values.)

here's another for $135 and $55 shipping

here's one without an interior for $105 plus $55 shipping

we all know ebay guys post lower prices and make back their money on shipping costs

lol, dude stick to soccer, those prices mean nothing they are asking prices, show me some that are completed for that amount and I will concede and where do you get that ridiculous idea that they make their money from shipping cost, rolfmao.

here is a list of completed items, the only one I see sold went for $ 9.99, now that's a reality check.

http://motors.search-completed.ebay....Z1QQsacatZ6028

about shipping people knows little about shipping cost, first a sunroof is a delicate thing to ship it cracks easy if you drop it , so you need to wrap it with bubble wrap and find a large and strong box, because of the size and time to pack the thing $ 50.00 sounds reasonable.

Last edited by lart951; 08-26-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2007 | 05:30 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by lart951
lol, dude stick to soccer, those prices mean nothing they are asking prices, show me some that are completed for that amount and I will concede and where do you get that ridiculous idea that they make their money from shipping cost, rolfmao.

here is a list of completed items, the only one I see sold went for $ 9.99, now that's a reality check.

http://motors.search-completed.ebay....Z1QQsacatZ6028

about shipping people knows little about shipping cost, first a sunroof is a delicate thing to ship it cracks easy if you drop it , so you need to wrap it with bubble wrap and find a large and strong box, because of the size and time to pack the thing $ 50.00 sounds reasonable.
its a known fact that people make money from shipping on ebay...
Old 08-26-2007 | 05:35 PM
sillbeer
Pro

Why argue with us on here? If you don't believe us, part it out and see for yourself. Lart parts cars all the time; I think he knows what's up.
Old 08-26-2007 | 06:08 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Shipping bulky parts is a real pita. I still don't understand why you had it painted if you were thinking of parting it...
Old 08-26-2007 | 06:24 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

its a known fact that people make money from shipping on ebay...

dude-- not if you count your time. trust me, I just parted a 951 S. If I paid myself even $5 per hour to package and ship stuff, I would have lost quite a bit of money on shipping. and I still had people give me crap about my shipping costs !!!!!!
Old 08-26-2007 | 06:45 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i think he's referring to people that sell a book for 6.95 and then charge 14.99 shipping for media mail
Old 08-26-2007 | 07:00 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

wow you really must have a Phd from Harvard to know all this... I'm sorry guys but I'm looking for some numbers, not a bunch of whining aholes who want to jump all over someone and put them down.

so please if you don't have some real world numbers backed by market data or facts, not just "he won't pay much for your car"... then please keep it to yourself

rennlist used to be fun when people actually tried to help each other, but its full of such aholes lately who just want to act like their $5000 porche is a really awesome car, I've heard other people complaining about this too and even people who no longer come to this board because of the lack of constructive help or support that exists here anymore, its like a bunch of loosers without the money to buy a real porsche sitting around trying act like big shots who don't even know that 944 and 951 light cover panels are the same thing... out of a whole 2 pages of replies its just full of BS and put downs and very little actual number values for parts of the car... saying "torn seats" won't get you much is USELESS... just look anywhere and you see totally mangled seats going for $150 all over rennlist and craigslist... you see blown transmissions going for money too... when parting a car you sell all the parts - and $100x30 = $3000 and wham I've made a profit, but wannabees like you guys aren't going to be the one's buying it.

and if I sound a little bitter, then take it and stuff it.

just my two cents worth
It might have helped if you'd stated right at the start that you were only interested in hearing certain kinds of advice.

"I have a car that's not in very good shape but I want to make lots of money for it so please tell me I can charge people a mint for it, thx! And by the way I'll insult anyone who tries to argue different. Don't like it, stuff it!"

If you've got it all figured out, why ask for people's opinions?
Old 08-26-2007 | 07:29 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

wow you really must have a Phd from Harvard to know all this... I'm sorry guys but I'm looking for some numbers, not a bunch of whining aholes who want to jump all over someone and put them down.

so please if you don't have some real world numbers backed by market data or facts, not just "he won't pay much for your car"... then please keep it to yourself

rennlist used to be fun when people actually tried to help each other, but its full of such aholes lately who just want to act like their $5000 porche is a really awesome car, I've heard other people complaining about this too and even people who no longer come to this board because of the lack of constructive help or support that exists here anymore, its like a bunch of loosers without the money to buy a real porsche sitting around trying act like big shots who don't even know that 944 and 951 light cover panels are the same thing... out of a whole 2 pages of replies its just full of BS and put downs and very little actual number values for parts of the car... saying "torn seats" won't get you much is USELESS... just look anywhere and you see totally mangled seats going for $150 all over rennlist and craigslist... you see blown transmissions going for money too... when parting a car you sell all the parts - and $100x30 = $3000 and wham I've made a profit, but wannabees like you guys aren't going to be the one's buying it.

and if I sound a little bitter, then take it and stuff it.

just my two cents worth
I didn't know the light covers were different, but I shure know much more about these cars than you do, but sorry, I really didn't know about these covers.. it's funny actually since I own all the types of 2.5L porsches..

on the other side you can ask me about the suspension, wiring, engine, exhaust, brakes, control arms etc. since I worked on all these parts and fixed them the way they were ment to be fixed and not the way you do things.

I pay a lot of money for my coffe. becouse when I drink it I want to taste it.
same thing with my cars. Cheap paintjob is worse than no paintjob.

and by the way your sunroof is missing the gasket imho.
Old 08-26-2007 | 07:56 PM
M491
Racer

You'd be very lucky to get $1500 for that car.

You'd get a little more if you parted it out, but not enough to make it worth the time and aggravation.
Old 08-26-2007 | 08:39 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

You'd be very lucky to get $1500 for that car.

I bought my car for that much and it was a great working car, with luxuries such as second gear. Who painted that car? They got paint on the sidemarkers, door handles, wheels, and tail lights. It doesn't look like the turbo bumper was test fitted or sanded. Why do you have new konis, but MAJOR mechanical problems?

And just so you know, I'm not an "ahole looser" who doesn't know what I'm talking about. I just painted a 944 and it looks nothing like that sloppy job. Furthermore, why did you even paint it if you were considering parting it? The only thing you can do with a crap paint job is sand it down.

You ask a question and you didn't get the advice you wanted to hear, so you argue with us.

And to answer what you are actually asking: No, there is no magic way to make lots of money on that car without considerable work.

Quick Reply: 944 painted