Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 painted

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007 | 10:31 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944J
people on this post responded with values varying from $3000 to $500, thats just too broad of a value to be accurate, so its just bashing and a bunch of &uckheads trying to feel bigger
No, it reflects personal opinion, experience, and geographic location.

An early 944 that might get $500 in Hollywood, CA, where Ferraris are commonplace, could bring in $2,000-$3,000 in Wyoming, where there are maybe 5 German cars in the whole state.

If some noob sees your car on eBay and says, "OMG R0xxor" or whatever, and hits the "Buy it Now" for $10,000, then that is what your car is worth.

Or like the 1 year old laptop in perfect condition that I forgot to bid on... 99 cents no reserve. NO ONE bid on it, so it closed unsold... it was worth less than $1.00 that day... but could sell for $300-$400 normally.
Old 09-06-2007 | 10:51 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

then you have the parts guy low balling everything even when I show him 3 of the part he claims is $40 going for $150 on ebay.
I have a black sunrook from a 1988 turbo in great condition. Ill sell it to you for $75 bucks shipped. You should be able to make a quick $75 profit right since they are worth $150?

Ill wait for your pm to confirm paypal and what not so we can move forward...
Old 09-06-2007 | 11:06 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I can't believe this thread is still going.

You ask our opinion on the value for a car with a broken transaxle, oil leaks, shabby interior and a mediocre paint job.

We tell you what you don't want to hear.

You start mouthing off.

You **** off guys with years of experience in painting and restoration of a fine sportscar, commonly rated as one of the all time best Porsches to own.

A 944 is not a poor man's Porsche by a long shot. Its a unique model with unique performance characteristics.

It also can out handle most modern "sportscars" of today for a fraction of the cost.

A car is a depreciating asset. Plain and simple.

Suck it up, buttercup.
Old 09-06-2007 | 11:36 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

his car looks great, but the trailer he rented to tow his car home on cost more than I paid for my whole car!
Thank you for the compliment. The flat bed cost CDN $127 all in...

Congatulations on buying such a cheap Porsche. You will really do much better selling it if you finish up fixing the leaks and tranny etc. (and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way - I just can't see how anyone would pay good money for that many known issues - as you always expect half-again other issues to come to light in the near future) A big part of valuing a 944 is service history, quality of maintenance etc. When a car has issues, you automatically assume (rightly or wrongly) that it has been poorly looked after and a reasonably educated buyer will discount drastically. Bottom line, you will probably come out ahead selling a properly sorted car vs. one with significant issues.

The paint does not look that bad, but the sloppiness that is evident here and there in the pictures does detract from it. I grant that I might be looking at it with a more critical eye than typical customer, as the experience of learning how to paint by doing my own car has made me much more cognizant of what makes a good paint job. Given that this is a professional job, I would have had higher expectations, but that is only an opinion.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as far as value goes (your original question), as stated by others, it can vary significantly by region. I have seen people work really hard to sell genuinely clean N/As with new clutches, perfect dashes, no issues etc. for $4000 to $4500. With significant issues (and no second gear is pretty significant) it will be hard to get more than $1000 I think.

Last edited by 500; 09-06-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added a bit more info...
Old 09-06-2007 | 02:53 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

As a bodyshop owner I have to ask what the hell was "Eric" of "Matstermatch" thinking. That car should have never left that shop looking like that, free or not. Now you have the recipient of that free paint job showing it off and telling people who sprayed it. Who in their right mind would go to that shop after seeing this car? That is the problem with doing cheap/free work--your reputation will wind up with the same value. If I do something cheaply or for free it must have the same quality as a full price job. When the money's spent, your reputation is all that is left.
Old 09-06-2007 | 04:52 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by amjf088
Thank you for the compliment. The flat bed cost CDN $127 all in...

Congatulations on buying such a cheap Porsche. You will really do much better selling it if you finish up fixing the leaks and tranny etc. (and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way - I just can't see how anyone would pay good money for that many known issues - as you always expect half-again other issues to come to light in the near future) A big part of valuing a 944 is service history, quality of maintenance etc. When a car has issues, you automatically assume (rightly or wrongly) that it has been poorly looked after and a reasonably educated buyer will discount drastically. Bottom line, you will probably come out ahead selling a properly sorted car vs. one with significant issues.

The paint does not look that bad, but the sloppiness that is evident here and there in the pictures does detract from it. I grant that I might be looking at it with a more critical eye than typical customer, as the experience of learning how to paint by doing my own car has made me much more cognizant of what makes a good paint job. Given that this is a professional job, I would have had higher expectations, but that is only an opinion.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as far as value goes (your original question), as stated by others, it can vary significantly by region. I have seen people work really hard to sell genuinely clean N/As with new clutches, perfect dashes, no issues etc. for $4000 to $4500. With significant issues (and no second gear is pretty significant) it will be hard to get more than $1000 I think.
your car is prob the best looking paint job Ive seen. how much did the paint job cost?

edit: my dad bought a 944 for $4500 years back with a cracked dash and an obvious respray and some obvious body work, he/we really enjoyed the car until it caught on fire, buying/selling cars is not about blue book and value its about when its the right time and feels right then the person buys (my dad is the pickiest person you'll every meet too and it was just the right time for him to get that particular 944 even with the obvious problems the car had.) I also think that the guy wrote up (faked) a whole book of records for the car like oil changes etc to make it sound better. I have every receipt since 1999 for my car and have done all the work myself.
Old 09-06-2007 | 05:00 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
As a bodyshop owner I have to ask what the hell was "Eric" of "Matstermatch" thinking. That car should have never left that shop looking like that, free or not. Now you have the recipient of that free paint job showing it off and telling people who sprayed it. Who in their right mind would go to that shop after seeing this car? That is the problem with doing cheap/free work--your reputation will wind up with the same value. If I do something cheaply or for free it must have the same quality as a full price job. When the money's spent, your reputation is all that is left.
he did a great job actually, you would have told me to junk the car, as did 99% of all other body shops... one guy said "you might want to go to the junk yard down the street, they have an old 944 there you might want instead"

so unless you saw the car before hand I think its better not to say a guy did a poor job based on some drips on the head light cover (I think those are the old head light covers and I just need to put on the new ones that I bought from lart)
Old 09-06-2007 | 05:05 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I have a black sunrook from a 1988 turbo in great condition. Ill sell it to you for $75 bucks shipped. You should be able to make a quick $75 profit right since they are worth $150?

Ill wait for your pm to confirm paypal and what not so we can move forward...

I payed $150 for my sun roof with interior from a well known porsche parts place about 7 years ago and there were 4 listed on ebay for $150 (with and without interiors) last time I looked. right now there are some hinges for $39 (just the hinges), just the seal for the sun roof is $75 new.
Old 09-06-2007 | 05:07 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Hmmm, if we add sense to the equation, none of us would own a 944.
I must be in a better mood today because I agree!

Nor would we bother putting a $2,500 paint job on a 20-year old $3,000 car, knowing that it's freshly painted value is now $3,500...

And my 944 wouldn't be sitting in the garage in the winter while I scrape snow off my DD... or I would take my wife up on her offer for her to park the minivan outside in the winter, so I can keep both the 944 and my DD in the garage (there's a keeper! ). Common sense would dictate that I cover up the 944 or put it in storage, and keep the DD in the garage... but man, I just love looking at the car on my way out.
Old 09-06-2007 | 05:10 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by dv8nxs944

That's funny cause there are other sources that say this is the fastest car in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron

Hmm
I was right, the Ultima is the fastest car in the world, not the Bugatti as you claimed.

http://www.automotoportal.com/articl...s_Fastest_Cars

2. Bugatti Veyron 16.4 9.9 secs

A car which redefined the terms used to describe supercars. While its competitors have narrow, noisy and too heated interiors, Veyron provides comfort and enjoyment to two passengers, characteristic of the most luxurious limousines. Veyron weighs almost two tons, which makes it the heaviest car on the 10 fastest cars list. Still, its weight does not prevent it from giving 0-100-0 mph a time of less than 10 seconds with the maximum speed of 253 mph, which is why until recently it was the fastest car in the world. It is all because of its sophisticated integral drive and unique W16 engine which provides 1001 horsepower.

1. Ultima GTR 9.4 secs

Less than a two months ago a small British car company represented its version of ultimate race car for the road drive based on Chevrolet V8 engine which provides 730 hp and entered the Guinness Book of World Records beating the Veyron’s time by five hundredths of a second. 720 GTR scorches from 0 to 60 mph in 2.6 seconds, from 0 to 100 mph in 5.3 seconds, and brakes to 0 in 3.6 seconds (not including drivers reaction time). No traction control devices or ABS braking aids were used.
Old 09-06-2007 | 05:27 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

he did a great job actually, you would have told me to junk the car, as did 99% of all other body shops... one guy said "you might want to go to the junk yard down the street, they have an old 944 there you might want instead"

so unless you saw the car before hand I think its better not to say a guy did a poor job based on some drips on the head light cover (I think those are the old head light covers and I just need to put on the new ones that I bought from lart)
What the car used to look like isn't relevent in the least. When a potential customer is looking at my work they don't ask what the car looked like before. My jobs or any job for that matter are judged on their own merits. Many of my customers bring me cars that are severely damaged...does that mean that I can do a poor quality repair and then say "remember what it looked like after your accident?" I did not post in order to attack you or your car. I don't care what your car looks like now or before, I'm sure it is a vast improvement. Truth is, the headlight door would have been fixed before it ever left my shop or any shop that cares about their reputation.If you say that the hl door is the only flaw then that makes it that much worse. That could have been fixed in less than an hour. The damage that is done by a customer showing off this kind of work is irrepairable. A happy customer tells one or two friends, an unhappy one tells everybody who will listen. If the shop that painted your car for free knew about this thread, I doubt they would be pleased. If they don't care then they will find their place in the market.
Old 09-06-2007 | 05:55 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
What the car used to look like isn't relevent in the least. When a potential customer is looking at my work they don't ask what the car looked like before. My jobs or any job for that matter are judged on their own merits. Many of my customers bring me cars that are severely damaged...does that mean that I can do a poor quality repair and then say "remember what it looked like after your accident?" I did not post in order to attack you or your car. I don't care what your car looks like now or before, I'm sure it is a vast improvement. Truth is, the headlight door would have been fixed before it ever left my shop or any shop that cares about their reputation.If you say that the hl door is the only flaw then that makes it that much worse. That could have been fixed in less than an hour. The damage that is done by a customer showing off this kind of work is irrepairable. A happy customer tells one or two friends, an unhappy one tells everybody who will listen. If the shop that painted your car for free knew about this thread, I doubt they would be pleased. If they don't care then they will find their place in the market.
I agree, life is a learning process
Old 09-06-2007 | 06:06 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

maybe post more pictures, give an idea of what your receipts you have are for, underhood shots, interior shots...

maybe you will get a better estimate from people who are seeing more then your new paint with a breif description talking about whats wrong, rather then whats right...

know what i mean?
Old 09-06-2007 | 06:39 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I didnt mean it like that sammy lol!! i love you car by the way, even if i only got to sit in it and redline the tach a couple of times
Old 09-06-2007 | 06:42 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

I was right, the Ultima is the fastest car in the world, not the Bugatti as you claimed.
Ok, congrats. You want a cookie, I have better things to do than sit around and try to prove people wrong. Next question, is the Ultima a production car?

Taken straight from the Ultima website

" for assembly by the home enthusiast "

Quick Reply: 944 painted