Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME/KLR mounting HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry DME/KLR mounting HELP!

OK, this is the most retarded thing I have ever posted for, but i've been bangin my head on the wall for an hour now. I removed my old wiring harness and have another one I am swapping out. I unbolted the Motronic unit, and the other box next to it and am trying to get it back to where it was mounted. I can not seem to remember how the dan bracket for the alarm goes, or how the computers mount to the bracket that bolts into the floor board.

Please spare the dumbass comments.... I've given myself enough already!!!
Anyone have pics of them mounted to the H-bracket?? My holes don't line up, I know the motronic box goes on the left, and I think the bracket for the alarm mounts on the left too. I'm going insane here.... I can rebuild a motor but a damn bracket is kicking my ****?? Grrrrrrr.

________ I got it all mounted up, but still dont feel it's right. If someone gets pics, feel free to post for I can compare. What a pain....

Last edited by Spidey944; 08-20-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: BUMP
Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No help for how they mount (I'm hoping I remember how to put mine back in), but the two boxes are the dme and klr. If you search for those and/or change the tread title to "dme/klr mounting" instead of motronic, you're bound to get more help.

When most people on here see motronic, they think of fancy high-end fuel management stuff.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha I know exactly what you mean!!! Fortunately, I was able to get the damn thing back together.

Here's what I did:

1) remember the DME's the square one; the KLR, the rectangular one.

2) place the DME and KLR upside-down (mounting brackets on top) with the plug jacks pointed toward the front of the car. Plug them in and screw in the KLR vac line.

3) Remember to first bolt the factory alarm to the KLR before screwing the H-bracket on; place the alarm bracket underneath the KLR and screw in the screws in the spare holes on the KLR "wings"

4) place the H-bracket on top of the DME/KLR with the little "wing" thing (which resides on the lower end of one of the legs of the "H") facing the driver-aft corner of the car. I hope this makes sense; the two bolt holes (which hold the bracket to the interior) should be pointing aft.

5) Then, using a little manipulation of the respective holes of the DME/KLR, screw the damn thing together. It helps if the KLR is situated underneath the DME when you bolt up the center holes (on the H-bracket). As it lays there with the H-bracket on top, the DME will actually be situated fore of the KLR by a couple of inches.

6) Slide the whole shibang up along the footwell and maneuver it up behind the carpeting and put in the final two screws to hold it in place on the interior (which should now obviously be at the bottom).

I hope this was what you were having trouble with...and I hope I helped!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

**Edit: i just saw the end of your post...if nobody's posted pics by tomorrow eve I'll take a pic of mine for you.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Get a bunch of nails and tack it to the door.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a pain in the @ss. I got it mounted, a bit diff from what Collin said, but if I ever take it back out, I guess I'll do it the right way. Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

spencer, you don't know about KLRs Mr. NA.

Its normally a trial and error thing when I try and mount them.

Quick Reply: DME/KLR mounting HELP!