Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-post FS: 1985 944 track car $2200

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-post FS: 1985 944 track car $2200

I have decided to go another direction for a track car and thus my 1985.0 track car is up for sale.

The car is in good shape overall. It currently has 250lb front springs, and 951 sway bars, 15x7 cookie cutters with 225/50 Hankook RS-2 tires mounted up. I have run 1:45 laps at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven with this car.

The car is streetlegal, in fact I have been driving it to and from the track. All the lights and wipers work, although the headlight motor is working intermittently.

The color is garnet red, or close to it, the car has a couple small rust bubbles on the lower part of each door, and one small rust hole in the driver's side rocker from someone chipping the undercoating and not repairing it. I do have a piece cut out of a parts car that will repair the rocker. It's not structural at all though, just cosmetic. The rest of the car is very solid.

I have removed the interior from the car with the exception of the door panels and forward part of the console with the gauges in it. I do have all the interior except the front section of carpet and stock front seats, and it will come with the car. The car currently has two Corbeau FX-1 composite racing seats, with an Autopower roll bar in it. I will be keeping the harnesses that are currently in the car. I also removed the rubber bumpers and as many other parts as I could to reduce the weight, I figure the car is down to around 2475-2500 lbs as is. It handles like a go-kart!

The car has also been equipped with an OEM A/C delete setup. The gearbox shifts very well through all gears with no grinding whatsoever. The clutch is newer and was replaced when the gearbox and engine were rebuilt just a few years ago.

The engine also has a K&N filter and a bursch header.

Now to the downside. Last month I spun a rod bearing (probably the #2). I think I caught it early enough to avoid damaging the crank, but it will require some work. The engine that is in the car now was rebuilt just a few years ago by a shop in the Chicago area, top and bottom. It received new Mahle pistons, the head was completely redone, and all new bearings. It ran great and will still fire up and idle just fine, although I haven't run it more than once since bringing it home. I also acquired a spare motor from a 1983 944, which is compatible with the car. It has just 78,000 miles on it, and was removed from a good running car that was in an accident. I will include the spare motor.

Obviously the quick thing to do would be put the 1983 engine in the car while you redo the 1985 rebuilt motor that's in the car now.

I have probably close to $5000 into the car now, but since the engine will need work, or the other one will need to be swapped in I am taking a big loss on it so I can move forward with my other project.

I am asking $2,200 or best offer for the car with the spare engine. I have all the records for the car from the PO showing that they spent approximately $9000+ having the engine and gearbox rebuilt, a new clutch installed, etc.

Basically you could swap motors, put harnesses in and have a blast with this car for a very minimal investment.

I am having problems with my internet connection at home so please reply here or send a PM if you're interested. Thanks!

Quick Reply: X-post FS: 1985 944 track car $2200