Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Project by DanG = 2.7L MID + Megasquirt + Garrett GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once thought I had a rod knock. It was a bad alternator ball bearing. I diagnosed it by taking off the accessory belts (PS and alt/AC belts) and starting the engine. What a relief! Recently, I passed this on to another lister who also thought he had a rod knock but again it was the alternator.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:32 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these Big Reds or just TurboS/928S4 brakes?

They cover almost 90 degrees of the rotor.
And do these look like stock 86 turbo rear brakes?

On the pass side, some paint was chipping off the front caliper. There was red under the yellow.

The seller said they're TurboS brakes, but these look massive. Or are TurboS brakes that big too?

Bad news is the PO didn't update to 87+ spindles/hubs, so I'm still riding on pretty big spacers.

Last edited by DanG; 07-18-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

87+ spindles and hubs would still have you riding on spacers. The change in offset was due to the longer a-arm, not the change in spindles and hubs.

What did change with the spindles and hubs were incorporation of teeth for the abs sensors and larger bearings.

Those front brakes look like Big Reds to me although S4 brakes are also quite big.

The rears look like stock '86 calipers with aftermarket cross drilled rotors.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:27 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
Impossible. I'm not posting stuff about this car on like 7 different boards right now.

No way you could have seen any of those pics already.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:47 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
87+ spindles and hubs would still have you riding on spacers. The change in offset was due to the longer a-arm, not the change in spindles and hubs.
Really? I didn't know that. I guess I'll have to do a little searching and read all about it. Thanks.

Part of me wants them to be big reds, since big reds are just frickin cool. But the other part of me wants them to be the 951S brakes, as pads and rotors should be cheaper to replace, yet still offer a more than adequate system.

I guess I'll just live with whatever's on there. Unless its not properly dialed in.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Are S4 pads and rotors cheaper?

I honestly don't know but I'm guessing they're close. Pads tend to be about $40 cheaper for S4 calipers than Big reds. That's minimal.

Rotors I'd guess were similar.

I'd leave well enough alone.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:58 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, look at all those upgrades....why would you do that then get rid of it......
Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I know, I can't understand it either. I do have plenty of documentation though, I'm going to try to contact the PO's. I have addresses to start from... heck, I even have credit card numbers on some of the invoices, with still current dates. Good thing I'm an honest guy!

If anyone here knows them, that would probably be the easiest. Its totally possible they could have been/still are rennlist members...

Most recent PO (that drove it more than 1000 miles) lived in Galt, CA from 2003-2004 at a minimum, worked at Miracle Auto Painting in Stockton, CA, and was named Nathanel Lyons. I'm going to start by just calling up the paint shop and seeing if he still works there. BTW, the fact that he worked at a paint shop might have something to do with the $4k paint job receipt. I'm guessing thats an "estimate" of what it was worth, not what the guy actually paid. This was the guy that seemed to fit most of the speed parts like the new turbo in June of 2003. I'm guessing that claimed 290 rwhp dyno run was done after the K27/8 was installed, I'd love to somehow get a copy of that.

The P-PO lived or worked in Mesa AZ up to at least the end of 2002, when he sold it to the guy above. He worked at a place called Arizona Auto Trim, and was named Heath Elmer. He was the guy that took the car to Powerdyne (still has a windshield banner from there) and had Chris Cervelli work on it. He was also the guy that bought those sweet wheels, and I'm guessing fit the big brakes around the same time (cause I don't think they'd fit under anything but 17"s).

While its definitely fun to buy/build up a car from stock, piece by piece, I don't think I'll be missing it with almost 300 rwhp on tap the first time I start this one up! Cheers to these guys for building me a sweet car!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Dan.. It was great meeting you at 944Fest- too bad you missed Saturday.

I'm sure you'll be at other GTG's I'm attending!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:45 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Good to meet you too Chris. I'll be out to lots of events once I have something to bring.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't wait to here what they do to fix it. You got an absolutely awesome car for the money.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome To Auto RoBoosto! Man, your wait paid off. The rebuild will have you restless, waiting to drive this car again. I myself is about ready to graduate out of the bone-stock driving realm, and bring on the "Mod-Squad". Where is a good start?

Zach
(951 suffering from a right forehaed gash...)
Old 07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan,
Powerdyne is not the shop that built that car. Technodyne built that car. Powerhaus supplied the turbo. Chris Cervelli owned Technodyne and built that car based on your information. From what I understand he also worked for Powerhaus for a while, but that was in the mid 90's I think. From as long as i can remeber 98 and on Chris was at his own shop technodyne.

I remember seeing adds for that car. I believe the Mesa owner originally wanted like 20k for it. It had those wheels and I think it was repained at that time.

Not really sure as I never saw that car in the flesh at any time.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I think you got a great buy there. Good luck with it.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:17 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
Dan,
Powerdyne is not the shop that built that car. Technodyne built that car. Powerhaus supplied the turbo. Chris Cervelli owned Technodyne and built that car based on your information. From what I understand he also worked for Powerhaus for a while, but that was in the mid 90's I think. From as long as i can remeber 98 and on Chris was at his own shop technodyne.

I remember seeing adds for that car. I believe the Mesa owner originally wanted like 20k for it. It had those wheels and I think it was repained at that time.

Not really sure as I never saw that car in the flesh at any time.
Joe, thanks for helping me piece things together. Yeah, I goofed on that power/technodyne thing. It says Technodyne on the windshield and receipts.

It may have been repainted twice, I don't know. I do have the receipt from just 18 months ago for the one done just after the CA owner bought it.

I still can't believe the $14,900 bill of sale from the guy I bought it from. I guess he just dumped all his money in the car and had no way to pay for a rebuild. He was also quoted a minimum of $8k to rebuild it, so I guess the idea of having $23k in the car right away was probably part of the reason. Still to take a $10k hit has to be hard. I'm pretty grateful. I've already promised the dude I'll come up and take him for a ride/drive once its fixed. I figure I owe him that much.

Quick Reply: 951 Project by DanG = 2.7L MID + Megasquirt + Garrett GT-R