Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 w/ LT1 on Evilbay

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007 | 09:54 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Default 944 w/ LT1 on Evilbay

Just ran across it... no affiliation w/ seller. I might have, if I lived closer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-14-2007 | 02:50 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Not a bad price if you are local. The LT-1 block would run $2-3K alone. Since it is already in the car, I would guess it would be just a matter of making it run.
Old 08-14-2007 | 06:53 PM
sbyrne
Racer

"....just a matter of making it run..." Isn't that the HARD part? See articles in current GRM and Excellence.
Old 08-14-2007 | 07:14 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

The LT1 is far easier to "get running". Much less wiring, not as many sensors, etc.
If this puppy was close enough for me to get, it would be done.
Old 08-14-2007 | 10:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Don't forget that you'll need a turbo or S2 transmission -- and bigger brakes wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-15-2007 | 12:25 AM
944-LT1
Racer

You dont need a turbo or S2 transmission at all. The NA box is perfectly fine. The NA brakes are fine as well if not tracking it. With a good working system and good (not cheap) pads, the system works quite well.
He doesnt make reference to the cooling system which is one of the more expensive parts of the conversion. Wiring is around 5-6 wires (oil X2, tach, LT computer +power, alternator prime wire/starter wire) as the 944 harness is completely removed.

Im not sure what he means by vacuum hook-ups. There is only 1 vacuum hose thats needs to go from the engine to the car and thats for the heater valve. He may be talking about the intake which has a hose to go from the intake to the fuel PSI regulator, and one from the front (nipple in picture under TB plate) to the side of the intake. The rest air emissions hoses which is one to the rear EGR and one to the PVC on the valve cover. It then depends on where the buyer lives for more AIR/emissions requirements.

Also, he says CNC adapter to the tranny....the RH bellhousing to TT is a custom cast piece. He should mention the disc, PP, and FW to clarify but most likely a 10.5 disc, 153 stock steel FW and plate.

What he didnt mention is the heater hoses or other cooling bits, the water pump isnt bolted down (why?), the accesory bracket is not there, the wiring harness hasnt been converted (not that it needs to be but easier to work with), the computer hasnt been reprogrammed, the gauge cluster may not have been calibrated, and the coil/IM/bracket and air pump seem to be missing. As a side, these may be included but not mentioned or pictured.

Besides that, it looks to be on its way to being a very good conversion and sould easily be finished within a day by a compitent DIYer and a few trips to the local autoparts house.
Old 08-15-2007 | 12:57 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Damn, 944-Lt1! Now that you leaked all this info, I am now praying something like this pops up in Northern California.
Old 08-15-2007 | 02:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

944Lt1 - so a standard 944 box is fine to handle the 300+HP?

what are you running?
Old 08-15-2007 | 07:51 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
944Lt1 - so a standard 944 box is fine to handle the 300+HP?
The issue isn't one of durability, but rather gearing. Not that it's bad but the N/A gears rev up very quickly with the V8, whereas the 951 gears are more suited to the broad power band.
Old 08-15-2007 | 11:05 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Yup. The NA box is very quick off line with the V8 power. The ratios are good for that and thats why I run an NA box. If you continually "dump" the clutch however, youll be looking at RP damage. But no big deal as these tranny's can be found on a regular basis for around a hundred bucks.

Ive yet to actually break an NA box. Sure the synchros have given up but whos hasnt. HAHa. I dont use 1st gear except for parking garage and lot driving. 2nd gear is what fantasies are made of. Very very fast.

I believe the NA AND turbo box to be common in strength in that they can both readily handle 400 ft lbs torque. But then again who cares, No one with a V8 944 has popped one yet that I know of. Thats whats weird. You'd think we would but nope. I do however here lots of stories of people with the stock engine exploding the trannys.

Usually when talking to other 44 owners, thats what they ask first. "Wont the tranny bust-up?" All I can say is I havent seen one let go yet from any one with a V8.

"Myblackcar", to be honest, I wouldnt hesitate in the least to do it again. Its a hell of a lotta fun I mean driving it is intoxicating but working on it is the most fun for me because just a simple turn of the wrench makes a world of difference for these engines. Theyre soooo durable and cheap to mod/maintain. Love it.

"V2", Yup. Without a doubt.
Old 08-15-2007 | 01:04 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

The teeth on an NA ring and pinion are smaller than the ones in the turbo or S2 gear box.

Many turbo guys have tried using NA gear boxes -- specifically for the ratios -- and the outcome is always the same: even a stock turbo will, eventually, shear the teeth off the NA ring gear.
Old 08-15-2007 | 01:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I think thats why he doesnt use 1st gear haha..

So best bet would still probably be an S2 or 68 box...
Old 08-15-2007 | 05:52 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

So best bet would still probably be an S2 or 68 box...
I've only driven LS swaps but the 951 trans was the best all-around compromise between performance and durability.

The 968 is close-ratio and not conducive to the broad power band of the V8. These motors make power from idle to redline, so there's no need to be shifting constantly. The S2 has a short 3.875 final vs. the 951's longer 3.375, so traction would be an even larger issue. But the important thing is they all work and are stronger than they are given credit for.
Old 08-15-2007 | 10:31 PM
944-LT1
Racer

The teeth on an NA ring and pinion are smaller than the ones in the turbo or S2 gear box.
Do you have a reference. Not doubting just wanted to see it for myself. I never knew that.

even a stock turbo will, eventually, shear the teeth off the NA ring gear.
Well this seems subjective. It really depends on the driver and his/her habits. Of course racing and odd driving habits can destroy any tranmission whether it be a 944 box or a T56; based on the fact that these where not set-up for strict racing or bad drivers haha. I find that the torque curves between the porsche engine and the chevy engine to be dramatically different. The chevy engine produces a more constant amount of torque whereas the porsche engine produces its power at certain RPMs. Who knows. But this is my best guess at why NA and turbo boxes grenade with otherwise stock engines whereas the fellows with V8's report no problems.

It also seems to me that the "chatter" of the RP is what inevitably damages the transmission. That or the factor of the differentials bias in a non limited slip set-up.

At any rate, owning an NA 44, or looking to buy a NA 44 that has been converted but retains the NA transmission, should not deter anyone from converting/buying. This isnt something you can guestimate or assume without owning/driving a converted car. Before I converted I too thought that the price of the turbo tranny would see its way into my final budget. However, due to the lack of available turbo transmissions at the time, I ran the NA box. That was 6 years ago and I have only had synchro problems which can not be contributed to the added power. Each week I recieve 3-5 emails asking for advice into conversion details and each email makes reference to the NA transmission in which they were told a NA transmission would not work. I never regret telling these people to retain the NA box atleast until they can make an educated decision for themselves as to which route to take. To be blunt, I cant understand where or how they seem to have it, almost innately, in their head that they HAVE to have a turbo transmission or chevy unit. Weird huh.

The bottom line is that both the NA box and the turbo box works in some equally well way. Some prefer the turbo box for its favorable ratios while others (me) prefer the cost/availability and speed-off-the-line of the NA. If you are contimplating the conversion and own an NA, run the tranny as is. See if you agree. If you find you dont, then buy the turbo box (swap the NA 5th into the turbo box though). Its win-win if you think about it anyway.
Old 08-15-2007 | 10:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

By favorable ratios do you mean good for 1st-gear starts/5th gear cruising?

I've been looking at the SBC swap for the simplicity (at least compared to the 8v) of the engine and its workings, but would definitely be in a street-race once in a while (honestly who hasn't). I couldnt care less what RPM the engine is running at while cruising the freeway in 5th gear...I can't hear it anyways the windows are open.

Would you recommend I keep tranny or go to a turbobox?

Quick Reply: 944 w/ LT1 on Evilbay