Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Problem (Motor works, high beams, no low beams)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Problem (Motor works, high beams, no low beams)

I searched the forum, but could not find anything relating to this issue. Yesterday I drove home in a substantial rainfall. I went to take a drive after dark and found that my low beam headlights were not lit. Motors pop up the lights, parking (yellow) lights work, but no low beams. The high beams do work when I pull back on the lever in the cabin. But they don’t stay on unless I continue to hold the lever back.

I am assuming the rain may be an issue. I checked fuses and everything looks good. Any chances a relay may have been fried by a short? I am assuming a relay is what toggles the high beams on and off, so that fact that I can’t keep the high beams on unless I hold back on the lever may indicate a problem up stream from that relay perhaps (as indicated by my Haynes wiring diagram). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
-bp

’84 944 N/A
Old 08-11-2007, 02:37 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

bump
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a shot int he dark but have you checked your actual headlights? We had an older car that did that same thing, it wasn't a Porsche though, not that it matters, but the low-beam filament burned out on both lamps at almost the same time so only the high beams worked. Don't know about your high beam switch only working intermittently though, but it would be good to check your headlight relays too.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's either the relay or the head light switch.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:14 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

I used a multimeter and traced it back to the switch. Pulled the switch out and found that one of the contacts was bad. It appeared that the some of the plastic next to the contact heated up and melted over the contact area. I cleaned the contact with some fine grit sand paper and put the switch back together. Everything now works! Hopefully the melted portion of the switch isn't indicating a bigger problem down stream.

The light switch is nothing short of a jigsaw puzzle. If anyone attempts to take theirs apart, pay close attention to how it goes back together. Removal/installation of the switch wasn't much of a problem, but taking the switch apart and putting it back together can be difficult.

Thanks
-bp
The following users liked this post:
cbkidder (09-23-2023)
Old 08-12-2007, 01:25 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no relay for the lights. Install a relay harness before more damage occurs- they're plug-and-play. See rennbay.com.

<--melted a headlight switch and the main power wire to the lights at the fusebox. I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:37 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

So the fuse doesn't take care of this issue?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:11 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
There is no relay for the lights. Install a relay harness before more damage occurs- they're plug-and-play. See rennbay.com.

<--melted a headlight switch and the main power wire to the lights at the fusebox. I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.
This one made pull out the wiring diagrams thinking I would find a high/low switch over relay. Couldn't find one.

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem (Motor works, high beams, no low beams)