Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi flow out....do I need hi flow in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hi flow out....do I need hi flow in?

I was thinking since I put on the hi-flow cat that I need better airflow in...like a cold air intake pipe to the left front fender, and a hi flow air filter element.

Make sense?

Perhaps this has something to do with the idle not always stable.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Hello Rick,

Unfortunately I don't have anything intelligent to add to your query, other than I think the S already is picking up relatively cool air and that I believe that the intake tract was designed as it was so that there was a relatively straight-ish run for the air through the filter into the AFM. I think that the large intake manifold of the S necessitated the different orientation of the filter housing on the S relative to the NA. However, that is little more than conjecture, so I would not take it to the bank.

What I wanted to ask about was your hi-flow cat. Which one and where did you end up buying? Was it a cat-only that had to be welded in on the existing pipes, or was it a complete unit that had flanges to bolt on to the exhaust manifolds and the rear muffler section?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:50 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best thing to do would be to cut a hole in the front bumper and direct the air into the stock airbox, however you'll need to add fuel once you get going fast enough, i'd say above 80.

but to answer your question, just because you are adding a high flow cat does not mean you have to change anything on the stock 944S intake system.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
I was thinking since I put on the hi-flow cat that I need better airflow in...like a cold air intake pipe to the left front fender, and a hi flow air filter element.

Make sense?

Perhaps this has something to do with the idle not always stable.

The airbox is not a restriction. The AFM is your biggest enemy, next being the throttle body. The stock cat flows alot better than most stock cats. So your probibly not going to change much with the new hi-flow cat unless your old one was clogged up.

-Dan
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
944CS
Drifting

thestock AFM is restrictive by .2 milibar......i don't know why people think its so restrictive

Quick Reply: Hi flow out....do I need hi flow in?