Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S2 oil in coolant, help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Austin944S2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 S2 oil in coolant, help please

Hello every one I purchased my 944 S2 almost 6 months ago. At that time I did not realize there was oil in my coolant. I found this out very quickly however and I proceeded to complete the TSB on the oil cooler. After that, I was still seeing oil in my coolant so I went and replaced the head gasket, did not notice and cracks or indication of warping. A long level across the head showed no warping. It has been a few months since and I thought I was just getting residual oil mixed in my coolant causing a sticky creamy mixture. It was not affecting my performance or cooling and so I took the car to the track for a HPDE. It did very well and I had no problems during the day. It has been 5 days now since my track day and I have flushed the oil and coolant because saw a bit of the mix on my dipstick. There was no coolant to noticed in the oil when it was drained. I am using the recommended 20w50 oil and I have lost 1/2 a quart into my coolant in around 75 miles. This time the oil did not mix with the coolant and was sitting on top of the pressure tank. I have stopped driving the car and I am wondering what the next best step would be? Any thought on what the problem could be?
(moved from 944 & 944S2 forum)
Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

whats a TSB on the oil cooler? Does that mean you replaced the oil cooler seals? Its hard to get the oil out of the coolant passages after theyve mixed btw.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

oil cooler seals. do a search around 2003 under my name and Perry951. been there a few times with my first S2 before it was stolen.

there is a second washer that is in a part that looks like it is attached to the block i think. you dont realize you have to take that small tube out. perry posted a picture of the part, i referenced it. search around april to august 03 under my name and oil cooler seals. you will get more info than you want.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Also, after you do the oil cooler seals, refill the system with water and about a half cup of non-foaming detergent - Spray-N-Wash - and run it for a few days to get the residual oil out of the system. Then flush and refill.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Also, after you do the oil cooler seals, refill the system with water and about a half cup of non-foaming detergent - Spray-N-Wash - and run it for a few days to get the residual oil out of the system. Then flush and refill.
we used laundry detergent. it smelled nice!!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Austin944S2
3rd Gear

Can not see the pictures on that section and I am unable to post a link for it. This is due to the fact that I do not have the required amount of posts to do so.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Try this
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...il+cooler+seal
and a search of milkshake

Here is a search of my posts with the word milkshake.
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1789175

As it turned out, my milkshake was not the oil cooler seals. the PO had the head gasket replaced, and the monkeys used a rolac grinder on the head and cut into a passage. the irony is they screwed up the head, but buttoned things up so neatly that three mechanics swore the head was never off. then when it was off they saw a replacement gasket. I was owned!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:06 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
It's important that you do this. Depending on how long you've run the car with the "milkshake" in the cooling system, the water pump impeller may have become contaminated and will start whining soon.

Quick Reply: 944 S2 oil in coolant, help please