Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its alive!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Crunky
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Its alive!

Its been exactly 37 days since I have driven my car. I blew the rubber centered clutch the night before my birthday,June 28.
I just finished installing my exhaust system, and I took it for a spin. All I can say is WOW! Feels like a totally different car. After driving my Bug for over a month it feels like a super car. With a new Sachs spring centered clutch, and a new(to me) 944S Transaxle, theres almost 0 backlash compared to my old setup when letting off the gas; and I don't hear any grinding coming from the tranny anymore
I only have one concern now, I have this high pitched whining that is only present above about 2000RPM. It is not there when sitting still in traffic, only when the car is moving. Is it possible that this is the infamous torque tube growling noise? Maybe I just nevered noticed it before because my original tranny made so much noise?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:39 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by Crunky
Its been exactly 37 days since I have driven my car. I blew the rubber centered clutch the night before my birthday,June 28.
I just finished installing my exhaust system, and I took it for a spin. All I can say is WOW! Feels like a totally different car. After driving my Bug for over a month it feels like a super car. With a new Sachs spring centered clutch, and a new(to me) 944S Transaxle, theres almost 0 backlash compared to my old setup when letting off the gas; and I don't hear any grinding coming from the tranny anymore
I only have one concern now, I have this high pitched whining that is only present above about 2000RPM. It is not there when sitting still in traffic, only when the car is moving. Is it possible that this is the infamous torque tube growling noise? Maybe I just nevered noticed it before because my original tranny made so much noise?
i think it might be the transaxle, my S and other S's have infamous tranny whine. I just get used to mine, gives it a distinct sound i guess.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations, dude!

I too am hoping to bring back my 944 from the dead soon (transmission issues).
Old 08-04-2007, 07:15 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

just curious, but on a scale from 1-10, ten being the hardest, how much skill did replacing the clutch require? Was it extremely hard? Or just alot of nuts and bolts? Im debating doing mine myself. Damn rubber centered pieces of ****
Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Stormchaser
Track Day

Greetings! I just joined this forum, and this is my first post!

It's amazing to me that I immediately found a mention of the very thing I need help with; i.e. I have a 968 (6-speed) with some quite loud tranny noise (?) I didn't have any sound from the tranny until recently, only after Lindsey Racing installed a turbo motor. My car has 97k miles on the odo. I have also found that there is a leak in the seal on the axle adjacent to the tranny. I'm wondering if the noise couldn't also be coming from there. It is louder than the engine/exhaust sound once highway speed approaches 60mph, and I have a Lindsey exhaust system, which I mention so as to give some idea of how loud it is.

I guess I'll get the seal fixed first and see if the noise abates, but I'm wondering what everyone might think about this. I'm concerned that the tranny couldn't handle the ~500hp of the new motor, thus the newfound whine.

Thoughts? Thanks!

[edit] Of course, I'm thinking there may have been some scoring or other damage within the transaxle, since the whine didn't exist prior to the engine swap. There is no detectable vibration, nor any loss of functionality of the gearbox. The wheel bearings checked out okay. Sorry for the quasi-threadjacking!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Stormchaser; 08-04-2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: I thought a couple of you might want to see a pic.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by Stormchaser

It's amazing to me that I immediately found a mention of the very thing I need help with; i.e. I have a 968 (6-speed) with some quite loud tranny noise (?) I didn't have any sound from the tranny until recently, only after Lindsey Racing installed a turbo motor. My car has 97k miles on the odo. I have also found that there is a leak in the seal on the axle adjacent to the tranny. I'm wondering if the noise couldn't also be coming from there. It is louder than the engine/exhaust sound once highway speed approaches 60mph, and I have a Lindsey exhaust system, which I mention so as to give some idea of how loud it is.

I guess I'll get the seal fixed first and see if the noise abates, but I'm wondering what everyone might think about this. I'm concerned that the tranny couldn't handle the ~500hp of the new motor, thus the newfound whine.

Thoughts? Thanks!

[edit] Of course, I'm thinking there may have been some scoring or other damage within the transaxle, since the whine didn't exist prior to the engine swap. There is no detectable vibration, nor any loss of functionality of the gearbox. The wheel bearings checked out okay. Sorry for the quasi-threadjacking!
hmmm, interesting that you would put a turbo motor in a 968,
Old 08-05-2007, 03:50 AM
Crunky
Pro

Originally Posted by greenshoes3
just curious, but on a scale from 1-10, ten being the hardest, how much skill did replacing the clutch require? Was it extremely hard? Or just alot of nuts and bolts? Im debating doing mine myself. Damn rubber centered pieces of ****
I don't think it really required alot of skill, just alot of nuts and bolts. Alot of stuborn ones too, hardest part is breaking free all the hard to get to bolts. As long as you follow the Clarks-Garage instructions, and use Rennlist as a backup, you will probably be fine.
Just make sure you have plenty of room to move around under the car. Also make sure you have a good smooth and hard surface to work on(dirt driveways suck, for example).
Overall, I would probably rate it a 5 on the difficulty scale. Just very tedious work.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 AM
frexe
Instructor

aiiyaa u beat me! =P I still have to install my exhaust system, Im stealing the exhaust off my other 944 cus theres a huge rip in the welds on this exhaust =/

Id say a rate of 5/10 is about right for a clutch job. The work is not hard at all with the right tools. Takes alot more time if its your first too, this was my first time with the 944, but next time Im sure itll be way faster.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
tk's944
Pro

Originally Posted by greenshoes3
i think it might be the transaxle, my S and other S's have infamous tranny whine. I just get used to mine, gives it a distinct sound i guess.
my tranny whined untill I put Royal Purple tranny fluid in, I would try that.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Nice looking conversion - start your own thread on the engine swap and post more photos of your car / engine swap.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Nice looking conversion - start your own thread on the engine swap and post more photos of your car / engine swap.

Are you sure it's the tranny? Or is it belt whine from the balance shaft belts (too tight) etc. Do a search on the forums and you'll get a few hits.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:19 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Overall, I would probably rate it a 5 on the difficulty scale. Just very tedious work.
Originally Posted by frexe
Id say a rate of 5/10 is about right for a clutch job.
whats a 10 then...?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I read somewhere that the early 968 transmission had incorrect lash adjustment on R&P from the factory and that would cause a whine.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Stormchaser
Track Day

Originally Posted by Randy_J

Thanks, Randy!

I actually just got it home, uh, again. That's a long story, and I won't go there, but anyway I need to get it cleaned up a bit before I can take pics, and then perhaps I'll start a new thread. I do have a few more in the archives, though. Here are a couple. That's me picking it up at LR.

Regarding the whine, I appreciate the Royal Purple and lash adjustment comments. I will take those thoughts with me when I (hopefully soon) get it to a mechanic, probably in ABQ. Keep 'em coming, if anyone else has an idea of possible cause! In my car, the pitch of the whine is a function of mph, not rpm's, so it's not coming from the engine.

Bob
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Crunky
Pro

Originally Posted by mavfan
whats a 10 then...?
I'd say rebuilding a transaxle.

And Stormchaser, does it whine as much when you are on the throttle? Or only if you let off the gas in gear? I just noticed today that mine only whines when I let it coast in gear, but if I give it gas it stops.

Quick Reply: Its alive!