Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I buy a 951 with a blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:19 PM
sharkwing1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you buy it and dont have the $ to fix it- just let me know i'll give you what you have in it- then part it out for like 7k- or build it.
Is that a serious offer? Im not trying to make any money but I also dont want to loose much either. thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 09:35 PM
mbonner
Racer

Well, you know there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche, especially one with no maintenance records. I admit I am somewhat mechanically challenged compared to a lot of folks on this board, and if you cannot do all the work yourself, I can't, buy one that has been meticulously maintained and pay a good buck for it. Ask me how I know. Once you get into that 951 with a blown HG, the "while you are in there stuff" will kill your wallet. Let someone else spend the bucks on the car before you buy it if you are not a pretty good mechanic yourself.
Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 AM
mrwolfe
Advanced

SharkWing1-

How funny I should run across this post... Do not waste your time my brother. I decided to make the road trip out into the middle of BFE ("...past the old CocaCola plant, til ya hit the county line... over the railroad tracks... You can't get lost as there is nothing out here...") this past Sunday to see if this was a worthy find. Saddly, this car is beyond all hope and needs a flaming bottle of kerosene to end her misery. The cat on the phone completely misrepresented the car and it was obvious he knew nothing about 951s ("those fuses in that there box, are too confusing for me...").

This poor thing had been sitting out in the sun for years (I was told it had been garage kept except for the past 5 months and that the paint was in great shape). The paint was faded beyond belief; every panel had dings/dents/scratches (I was told it was never wrecked hahahaha); not one piece of weather stripping was intact; the rear trunk was froze up; the front hood looked like somebody had tried to drive a spike through it; most of the lights/reflectors were broke/cracked; when I openned the hood, you could not see the engine due to the 3 solid inches of pinestraw and leaves that had burrowed there; most of the hoses were cracked and dry rotted; the car had been sitting for over 7 years; the fuchs were a disaster;

As for the interior, it only got worse... The owner was proud of the fact that he had never used an ounce of amour-all on the dash and that only the seats would need to be re-covered; he shouldn't have been that proud... this thing was cracked beyond recognition; the speedo could barely be read through the film of crud that had accumulated; the headliner was hanging along with both sun visors; the seats had huge chucks missing out of them as if left as a chew toy for a pack of rotties; the carpets were flat out rough; it only went more down hill from there...

I did not have the heart to tell the guy what a POS he and had I not enjoyed the roadtrip that afternoon, I'd been ticked beyond belief. Both he and the car could use all the help they could get. If money grew on trees, this was one of those times when you would buy the car just to help somebody out even though it the car was worth nothing more than a shell. In the 15 minutes of talking to him, he offered it to me for 2k without hesitation. I thanked him for his time and told him it was more work than I was looking to take on. He wasn't interested in parting the car out, but truly there is nothing worth salvaging anyways (I took pics to remind me how sad this car truly was)

Quick Reply: should I buy a 951 with a blown head gasket?