Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only hear clicking when i press sunroof button...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Royalty
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Only hear clicking when i press sunroof button...

I searched I promise Smile

I have an 84 944. When i press my sunroof button all i hear is clicking from the relays in the back. I can manually adjust the roof (via the provided tool) and the arms move in sequence, yay.

I'm assuming the gears are still good being that the arms move together i'm just concerned that my motor may be dead.

I switched the relays around to esee if it made a difference and it still does the same thing. My multimeter is dead so I cant check voltage just yet so right now I'm up a creek..

ANy ideas is if the motor or something else?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the simple stuff first - fuses - before tearing into the drive mechanism. Whatever you do, don't start messing around with adjusting the relay travel / limit stops, microswitches, etc. Usually, its the gears that are stripped - I suspect that Porsche designed the system so that the plastic gears are the weakest link in the whole assembly - and 99% of the time, it's the gears that are stripped. If you can lift the panel manually after unlocking, it's stripped gears. Do a search - I posted a step by step repair some time back. Gears are cheap - only about $5 each - get at least 1 spare if you attempt a DIY as you will probably strip a new one the first time you install it and try to synchronize them. Good luck.

here's my old post on sunroof gear replacement

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/82617-still-confused-after-reading-all-the-sunroof-write-ups-o-long-post.html

Quick Reply: Only hear clicking when i press sunroof button...