Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start, battery/alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Won't start, battery/alarm?

My cab would not start tonight and I am a bit puzzled.

Let me start with some back ground. I bought the cab in January and replaced the battery with a new Interstate in February. The car has a Clifford alarm and built in radar. I have never had a problem with the car starting before.

There are 2 things that I am not sure what they are, first is a red light on the center consule above the shifter and second is a togle switch inside the center lid.

The car sat for 2 weeks then I drove it about 2 miles to a storage unit where it has sat for about 3 more weeks, the doors were not locked so the alarm was not on. Tonight it would not start. My first thought is that it was the batery but this is what seems weird. When I turn the key the dash board lights light up, no radio, then a very very faint starter sound. After I turn the key back to the off position the doors lock, the red light above the shifter comes on and the alarm goes off. I tried this about 4 times each with the same result.

Questions:
1- if the battery was too weak to start the car would it have enough juice to set off the alarm?

2- any idea on the red light? I have seen them before but not sure the use.

3-any idea on the togle switch?

I was not able to jump the car as I pulled in front first and had no help to push it out or a long enough jumper cable. I will attempt tomorrow but wanted some ideas in case this is not the problem. My fear is that the toggle switch is some type of a Kill Switch and I have no idea what it would be connected to.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:05 AM
frexe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO your battery is probably low on juice. Some things in the car will still be able to draw power, but some wont. When you turn the key do you hear a click? You could try jumping the car and see if that works, or if u got a manual car u can pop the clutch to try to start the car.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

The red light could flash when the alarm is on, stay in "constant on" mode when the alarm is in valet mode.

I would also bet the switch is to put the alarm in valet mode.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:22 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, unfortunatley I have the car in storage, front first, and can't reach with jumper cables. The unit is also on a hill so I need to get some help getting the car out enough to jump. hopefully i can get to this soon. I did try a battery charge but it did not have enough juice to start the car but enough to bring the rest of car to life so i think it is the battery.

What is the valet mode? Someone else mentioned this to me.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:29 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take the battery out of the car to charge it? If so, just take the battery out charge it then have it tested. If this doesn't work, you're going to have to figure out what your alarm is doing. Do you have a manual for it?

HTH
Joel
Old 07-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its unhappy and misses its old 996 cab friend

Quick Reply: Won't start, battery/alarm?