Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm done... maybe next time

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Gremlin85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm done... maybe next time

So a little while back I posted a topic along the lins of "&@*%#%&#!" which I wrote how on a Friday morning I went out to start my 944 to go to work and there was ZERO oil pressure.

Well, I ASSumed that it was the pick-up tube. I was only half correct. After a few weeks I pushed it into my garage to troubleshoot. I got lots of great advice and suggestions from a few of you here and I went to work.

After tightening the crank bolt which didnt come loose, priming the oil pump which seemed ok and changing the oil filter with oil primmed in it I cranked it with the fuse for the fuel pump out to build pressure. After about 40 seconds I went ahead and tried to started with the fuse in...

... rod knock.

I immediately shut it off. I believe its a spun bearing probably #2.

So now I have to replace the oil pick-up tube AND get a new bearing.

I was wondering if i should just sell it how it is because I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm one of the many, it seems, who buys a P-car and ends up spending as much or more than what he/she paid for the car.

So the car is for sale, but I don't know what I could get for it. Depending on what any of you say here of the value, I will probably fix it if its worth it and then sell it fixed.

Help?

Last edited by Gremlin85; 07-14-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: subject clarification
Old 07-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know you need an oil pickup tube? You will lose oil pressure if you spin a bearing. It may just be that.

If you are really worried about spending more than the car is worth on repairs.. then by all means sell it and you will be more happy for it.

Otherwise, if you would like to do what you need to do to have the car, which the rest of us do, then just do the job. It'll take some time as it is a pain to get the oil pan off with the engine in the car, but once you get the pan off you can have new rod bearings in in about half an hour. It's not a difficult job.

PS- you will want all new rod bearings, but they are cheap anyway.

If you do the work yourself, it is under 100 in parts for an oil pan gasket and a set of rod bearings, if that's all you need and if you don't need to pull the engine to get your crank replaced or machined.

That being said, I'll throw an offer of 1k to you, sight unseen. I doubt you'll find a buyer for 2k even for an NA with a dead engine. I'd say 1500 is probably the most you will get, unless there is special options or the car is pristine otherwise. Then again you'll probably only get 3k once it's fixed, so what is your time worth to you? It's probably a 1k job at least at a shop. I've got a trailer....

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:24 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so one little problem and your out?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:33 AM
frexe
Instructor

I know how u feel man... My both my DDs 944s are currently out of comission so im pretty much screwed. I have to let one go.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have something special in it, it's worth what every other busted 944 is worth ~$500. Fixed depending on condition it might be worth $3-$4k if it's nice.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure it's the pickup tube? Because a couple months ago I was experiencing zero oil pressure and I removed the OPRV, cleaned it, and reinstalled and all was well with the world again.

First thing you should do is change the oil and remove the filter. Then, using a hacksaw/dremel/your own teeth, take the filter apart. If you have spun a bearing, you'll find lots of copper pieces in the filter.

I was worried about a spun bearing so I did this and I ended up with ZERO contamination -- zero. So, if you have anything in your filter other than paper and oil, that's bad.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Gremlin85
Racer

xsboost90, trust me, its not the first little problem. Besides, I can always get another and I was looking for an S or S2 anyway.

I'm thinking I'll just fix it.

I'm not too sure its the pick-up, but it does have rod knock and thats a pretty sure sign of a spun bearing. The work is not too difficult, I've done it before (on GM's).

I've changed the oil and filter, no copper or metal fragments what so ever. I am still looking and poking around (and yes I've checked the Oil pressure sender and switched filters), but it seems the only way to find out for sure is to take off that oil pan and take a gander.

I wrote this post in anger and grief which contributed to my rash decissions and vague explenations. I love this car so much but its starting to drain me of my funds and I'm to be married in October.

This forum has been so good to me and so full of information. This is one great group of Porsche owners and I am honored to be a part of it. I'll rebuild the botom end and keep it around for a little longer to make sure its proper.

I guess this just gave me an excuse to upgrade later after the wedding

Thanks again.
-John

Quick Reply: I'm done... maybe next time