Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to do a sunroof delete?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

The steel panel that was made would have to be welded on the roof to prevent cracking. Bondo will crack due to stress on a racetrack.

There is also no guarantee that even the welds will crack under the paint. This is why I would advise against doing your own sunroof delete.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongo
The steel panel that was made would have to be welded on the roof to prevent cracking. Bondo will crack due to stress on a racetrack.

There is also no guarantee that even the welds will crack under the paint. This is why I would advise against doing your own sunroof delete.
Bondo/epoxy/fiberglass cracking will really depend on how much load is transferred across the roof panel, and how much flex occurs. Cant be much, since the factory solid panel is not reinforced in any way. Most of the load must transfer along edges of the roof frame/upper door opening from front to rear.

My car has a full cage with both A and B pillar tie-ins to the cage, so the roof structure is more supported than a regular car. Im fairly confident I wont have a cracking problem real soon, but if it does crack eventually, I wont be shocked.

With or w/o additional support, I would anticipate no problem if a steel panel was welded on. The rest of the roof and entire tub for that matter, are only spot welded together. Never have seen a fatigue failure on one of the body panel seams. And have only heard of seam failures on one car, an ex-Kelly Moss 944S2 Firehawk car that had nearly tens of thousands of pro and club race miles on it, and several accidents/repairs. Incidentally, it was an original sunroof car that KMR had 'glassed in the roof panel. Eventually it did crack at the seams after years of use/abuse.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Last time I looked for a non sunroof 924, I found three of them without breaking a sweat, but that was probably longer ago than I would care to remember. It make sense that they would be getting hard to find by now. Still, if you can find one, its the easiest way to go. You can also still order the factory panel, but the dollars certainly don't justify the project.

Regards,
Old 07-14-2007, 04:39 AM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Why do you want to delete? Is your roof leaking?

Buying those $100 seals will probably be cheaper than removing the roof altogether.
because its not really useful, I never take it off, its just a ventilation hole... and I also have to worry about leaks, seals, gears, motors, etc... just a pain for little to no gain.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

New seals + manual latches = no worries.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:17 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the deal with the manual latches? currently I have to keep my sunroof open or it won't secure/hold and it will fly off... this happened when I first got the car (towing it home on the 101 the sunroof flies off and hits the car behind me, luckily it was minor damage and the lady was super nice and no one was hurt)

my seal looks perfectly fine, but it seems too big for the space, how do you get it to fit right, could I heat it in the oven then put it on with the manual latches?

Quick Reply: how to do a sunroof delete?