Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat blowing all the time!!!! PLease help me turn it off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:51 AM
Stalzie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat blowing all the time!!!! PLease help me turn it off!

The heat blows all the time! I have tried every adjustment to the dash etc. I turn teh dial off, set it to cool, close the vents, etc triued everyting, but still blows hot air all the time!!!!! Anyone got any ideas how to fix?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 09:06 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

check heater clip under drivers side dash, its known to break
Old 06-09-2007, 10:56 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The clip is a ~$2.00 part but as a short term fix you can use a zip tie to re-attach things so your toes don't have to sweat
Old 06-09-2007, 10:59 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Ah yes, the infamous plastic clip.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

aribop carries those....just did one on my car and one on the brother in "laws" car.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:56 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His clip is fine. It has some other issue....
Old 06-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Stalzie
Advanced

thank you guys... clip was broken! went to Porsche, they ordered me a new clip for 97 cents!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aribop
His clip is fine. It has some other issue....
Since this is fixed, it's hijack time! aribop do you still have that upholstery stapler? If so can I borrow or buy it? I have to re-cover my front seats. pm me please. Thanks
E
Old 06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
dhall615
Instructor

i have the same problem but clip isnt broken. i have a new ac relay and fuses arent blown. where should i look now...
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Stalzie, I thought you were Dallas.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Gremlin85
Racer

I have the heat blowing all the time problem too.

Clips are new. Turning the temp **** does nothing. I pulled the fuse to the blower and push the recurculate button so I don't die from the heat.

Suggestions?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

I haven't done this myself, but I remember a thread within the past year or so, where someone did the clip fix but still had too much heat.

Turned out he didn't have something on the rod that controls the flap at the right place when he put it back together.

I'm off to do a search, will update if/when I find it.

Edit; couldn't find it in a few minutes. Can't remember off hand whether the damper is supposed to be fully open, closed, or halfway when the clip is attached, but opposite of where it is now might be a good idea

Also found this:

The second problem <common to "944 heat on all the time" problems> is with the heater control valve.

The heater control valve is vacuum operated and located at the back of engine near the firewall. There is a vacuum line that goes from the valve to a vacuum connection at the firewall where the heater hose connections penetrate the firewall. Check this vacuum line to make sure it is connected and doesn't show any signs of cracking.

There is another vacuum line fitting near the heater hose connections, which goes to a rubber "Y" connector. One side of the "Y" goes to a small check valve attached to the large brake booster vacuum line at the back of the firewall. The other side of the "Y" goes through the firewall to a plastic vacuum retention canister next to the battery.

Make sure all these lines are connected and don't show any signs of cracking. If all vacuum lines are properly connected you may wish to remove the heater control valve from the system and check it's operation with a vacuum tester.

HTH, let us know how it goes.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:29 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

I replaced the Control Valve inside the engine compartment and things got better, but not perfect.

Can someone post a reference to where this "Clip" is located? a picture would be great.

Another Symptom... it seems to get better if I turn the air conditioner on... even though Air Conditioner is not charged and is about to get deleted (bonus points for links to AC Delete options besides Paragon's) ... something flips under the dash to bring in cooler air.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Stalzie
Advanced

The clip is located near the gas pedal. Go down all the way under there, look up, and you will see a small white clip (looks sort of like a body clip) holding a linkage rod (or it might not be if it fell off obviously.) Here is the link from PCA under tech tips and click 944 up to 1986 and thehn click Heat and ventilation you will see perfect description
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Dallas, here's something else from Search:
Originally Posted by OZ951
My 85 944 NA was blowing hot air constantly and it turned out to be the control cable - it had become disconnected from the control valve in the engine bay (near the rear of the engine as previously described.) The connection of the cable to the valve is via a simple dog leg (bend in the wire). When I re-inserted the cable in the valve control arm the constant hot air problem was resolved. This was a 5 minute, no cost fix (for a change).
And for EJnNM...
under the dash, about where your right knee is, there are a couple of electric motors that control the movement of the door in the heater system. The link that drives the blend air door breaks and the door falls to the full hot position. There may be a black plastic cover over the linkage, if so it is held on by two screws, remove it and you will see a cadmium plated rod and hopefully a broken white nylon clip. Ir there is a problem with the vac. supply to the heater control valve it also fails in the hot position, in other words it requires a vac. supply to close the valve. The valve is located behind the cyl. head, on top of the bell housing, if you can see the linkage pulled in when the engine is running with the heater set to cold, then the vac. supply is O.K.
But note that this is for 85.5 and later cars; the early cars used a different HVAC temp control system.

And apparently, Zims sells a metal clip for a longer fix. I was about to say "permanent", but who knows how long these cars will be on the road

More from Search

Quick Reply: Heat blowing all the time!!!! PLease help me turn it off!