Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rice or Nice: Red gauge lighting.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

xtaC, looks nice! I wouldn't go with blue myself, but I always liked the look.

Ninefofo, I like what I see so far... not too ricey, imo, but a photo from further back would be nice. Personally, I would have put the lights together somewhere, not spread out... with the different colors, you can tell what they are. I might have tried to put them under a section of smoked glass or something, so they are hidden when not lit up. Of course, I don't have the know-how to do this to begin with!

Originally Posted by billthe3
Not to mention that I have not heard of any car using led's for gauge lighting from the factory.
+1
Interior bulbs are silly cheap in bulk, LEDs cost a lot more... when you build millions of cars, that adds up quickly. Plus, regular bulbs have an semi "infinite" dimming range.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Gremlin85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what came in that kit to make it cost $80???
Old 06-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Slayer952
Instructor

Thumbs down

Totally disagree on the statement that blue lighting destroys night vision. My wife's
VW has that annoying red lighting all over the place and I find it bugs the hell out of me having that in my peripheral vision. I also have the blue Jaeger led kit and
find the effect quite restful on the eyes.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The soft blue lighting is easier on the eyes, but its a scientific fact that red doesn't affect night vision. Thats why the watches they sell people in the military have a red backlight to them.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:53 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronKame
The soft blue lighting is easier on the eyes, but its a scientific fact that red doesn't affect night vision. Thats why the watches they sell people in the military have a red backlight to them.
Also why all military command centers/ships/submarines have red lighting in them, so that if you suddenly have to look outside you can still see.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:19 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PURKINJE SHIFT
Rods and cones are not equally sensitive to visible wavelengths of light. Unlike the cones, rods are more sensitive to blue light and are not sensitive to wavelengths greater than about 640nm, the red portion of the visible spectrum.

The Purkinje shift is the relatively greater brightness of blue or green light, compared with yellow or red light, upon shifting from photopic to scotopic adaptation. For example, in a darkened room, if one looks at two dim lights of equal illumination (one red and one green) that are positioned closely together, the red light will look brighter than the green light when the eyes are fixating centrally. If one looks to the side of the dim lights about 15-20 degrees, the green light will appear brighter than the red. Central fixation involves the cones and photopic vision while fixating eccentrically involves rods and scotopic vision. The cones are more sensitive to yellow and red, but the rods are more sensitive to light of the blue and green wavelengths. The most sensitive wavelength for cones is 555nm (yellow-green). That is why the "optic yellow" tennis and golf ***** are, in fact, easier to see under photopic conditions. The most sensitive wavelength for rods is 505nm (blue-green). Thus, blue-green lights will generally look brighter at night than red lights. The sensitivity of the eye changes from the red end of the visible spectrum toward the blue end when shifting from the photopic to scotopic vision.

You can disagree all you want, however.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:43 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll stick with bmw's red gauges, thank you.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billthe3
A LED will not dim very much. LED's are either on or off.
This is ABSOLUTELY incorrect.

An LED can dim infinitely. Their brightness is dependant on the RMS current flowing through them.

The REAL problem is that the dimmer circuit in these cars is a low-resistance rheostat, and therefore does not provide significant current reduction. If you replace the dimmer circuit with either a PWM dimmer or a variable voltage follower, they WILL dim.

A simpler (though mroe wasteful) mod is to add a high-wattage, low value resistor in parallel with the LEDs, which will cause the rheostat to drop more volts.

Keith

Quick Reply: Rice or Nice: Red gauge lighting.