Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for low-mileage Turbo engine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for low-mileage Turbo engine...

...preferably from a Turbo S- long story, so I wont delve into it here, but I'm trying to get a really low mileage engine that I would not have to rebuild, to put in my Turbo S- it's a street car so reliabilty is most important- I'm considering all options & really want to do a slight disp increase, but probably am a little short on funds. I'll need to be able to buy bolt-ons & repaint afterwards, so the variables are endless here- just putting a line out to see what's out there &/or if anyone knows of anything really good right now...

thanks
Robby
Old 06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
tk's944
Pro

Good Luck with that
Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, thanks- Looks like I'm gonna need it! Of course, some DO pop up every now & then. Has anyone here ever seen a new crate engine sometime w/in the last 5yrs or so? Just curious how long it's been since they existed...?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

My Turbo S donor car came with a factory replacement engine. The seller had some sort of problem, ended up with water instead of coolant, and froze the block. He got a new short block, paid for by insurance. However these motors have M44/5x block stampings, so a crate engine might not be what you are looking for.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:04 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... interesting- do you know any more about this or does anyone else know about this stamping thing...? also, do you have any idea where the new short block came from & about how long ago was this...? I'm not really expecting anything here, but am just looking into options & wondering if it's even possible. Really, I'm more hoping someone will just have a nicely rebuilt or possibly a low mileage stock engine, that they want to sell for whatever reason... to rebuild mine & add basic bolt-ons will run me ~$15k & that's a bit steep for me. If I could find a way to cut this back $3k or so, I could work it out.

Any & all input would be appreciated...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

You could buy a 3.0 engine and turbo it.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

I assume you are looking for an m44.52 engine to keep the numbers correct on the Turbo S? Short blocks are the same, other than the stamping, between S and non-S so Porsche does/did not sell a Turbo S specific short block. So if you want to keep it correct you either have to find a Turbo S block or you have a 'story car' i.e. "Yah it's a Turbo S but it has a factory replacement block blah blah blah..."

My engine came from Porsche maybe 7 years ago and cost about $8k.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

V2- Yes, I could buy a 968 or S2 engine & turbo charge it. I could do a lot of things if I had that kind of $$$! Hell, for the cost of building up a 3.0L like that, one could probably do a 5.7L which at this point, I think I'd rather do, after seeing Tony G's here... Ok, smart-***-rant over... I hope you know, I'm only playing But seriously, I appreciate the input- I have considered this, but it's way beyond my budget, unfortunately, as-is a 5.7L. A Chris White 2.7L seems to be about the best bang for the buck disp increase- I'd love to have one of his engines- we spoke for ~30min several days ago & I'm eagerly awaiting some written quotes from him, but I'm sure he's been busy. It all sort of depends on some specifics. My prob is, that w/the engine out, I want to go ahead w/a new larger turbo & a few other bolt-ons. I do already have a tial, MBC, 3-bar FPR, & full 3" exhaust waiting to go on, so wont have to buy that stuff, but w/all the "while we're in there" things, I'm afraid I'll need more than $12k to have a 2.7L & that's really my end-all-be-all budget.

Joel- yes, I'd prefer a Turbo S engine, but I'm not too worried about it- I'm never planning to sell the car anyway & even if I did, I've torn into it in so many dif ways, that the specific engine will not matter. But, you're saying that you bought a new crate engine from Porsche 7yrs & it cost you ~$8k...? Is that installed or JUST the purchase price...? Also, was this a turbo engine...? I only ask b/c I don't see a turbo in your sig, but that doesn't mean you haven't owned one previously... Also, was this a short block or long block...? Any more input would be greatly appreciated as this is one thing I haven't researched at all...

thanks guys...
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 PM
5speed300
Racer

I think I remember a post a week or two ago from Hosram talking about new 951 shortblocks costing something like $2500?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 5speed300
I think I remember a post a week or two ago from Hosram talking about new 951 shortblocks costing something like $2500?

Yeah, but it was BS. I contacted my dealer of choice and had him check into it, since I was also in search of an M44/52 short block (for a friend) up to a week ago.

List pricing shows up as $4900 for a turbo short block, with identical/rebuildable core exchange - BUT they are currently not available (none in the US or Germany), have not been available for several years, and there is no due-in date: meaning No Longer Available.

Quick Reply: Looking for low-mileage Turbo engine...