Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake...

Alright. I truthfully wouldn't even be doing the stupid parking brake if I didn't need it to pass inspection. So, its gotta be done.

Here is the problem. According to my mechanic, someone drove with the parking brake up. Shoes are shot (parking brake hasn't worked since like, 2000, according to receipts...)

Well, ordered what I hope to be both sides from Paragon. Now, this is my first brake job in about 5 years, last one was just change out rotors and pads. So, that being said, after a search, most of what I found involved parking brake levers and cables not working. I don't know if mine are or not and won't until after it gets new shoes. Clarks doesn't have any info on shoe replacement....so what am I in for?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

IIRC its pretty straightforward; the hard part is getting the little springs (you'll see when you pull the rotor) to stay in place.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:51 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Once I figured out how to do the shoe retaining springs, I'd have to say that the parking brakes on the 944 are the easiest I've ever done.

When I got the 968, the P-brake wasn't worth a damn. No biggie - I never use it anyway; but when I went to replace the rear rotor and pads, I saw why - about half of the shoe material was gone from each side.

Here's a tip - to do the retaining srpings, get a big flat blade screwdriver - you want one that will insert partially into the spring, but catch on the shoulder. You can then use that to push and compress the spring and turn it at the same time.

As far as the rest of the mechnism - it's really simple. levers and pins should all come apart easilly; lube everything up with a bit of anit-sieze as you put it back together.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:46 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine didn't work either but when I started launching my jetski with the S, I had to adjust it to keep the car from rolling into the lake.

Actually... if the only reason that you need the brake to work is for the inspection, even though the pads are worn out I don't see why you couldn't adjust the star wheel out. Once the shoes get tight against the drum the car WILL NOT roll, it doesn't matter if it's brake pad or metal that touches the drum inside the rotor. All they will do at most is try to push the car with the P brake on they're not going to put a load on it.

The shoes looked pretty easy to replace, the cables may be a PITA though depending on how corroded the adjusters on the old cables are, mine won't even think about turning.

If you do replace them get a brake spring tool first. Replacing brake shoes and using a screwdriver and pliers on the springs can lead to a very colorful vocabulary that day, that's when I invent new profanity.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 AM
tomrc
Pro

Mine are adjusted all the way out and I have still have no drag from my E brake when fully pulled.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My car has a hard line to the caliper so I had to open the system to get it off. Have some brake fluid handy to flush afterwards.

Quick Reply: Parking brake...