Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 944

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Komradekozik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 944

i just bought my 84 944 yesterday and ive started to dig in and see whats wrong with it. Ive attached a few photos and maybe someone can shine some light on whats goin on under the hood.
Attached Images    
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It looks like you have the same problem that many of us have: stupid previous owner.

How about some specifics? Yeah...you have things disconnected, you have chopped off wires all over the place. But does it run? Does it try to start?

What's going on?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:57 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Komradekozik
i just bought my 84 944 yesterday and ive started to dig in and see whats wrong with it. Ive attached a few photos and maybe someone can shine some light on whats goin on under the hood.
Hi Komrad,

Welcome to the board. I too have a 1984 / 944. I have been working on my 944 for the past 6 months. My first goal was to get the car running. Once I knew the motor was in good shape, I was "OK" with spending the time / money in restoring the rest of the car. Leaving the suspension and brakes for last, I moved from the rear of the car to the front. This included lots of cleaning, flushing the fuel tank, replacing all the servicable fuel lines from the tank to the body lines, as well as the entire interior. The point that I'm at right now, I've started moving into the engine bay. I am 99% complete with the interior, and I just got through completely cleaning and servicing the cowl area. You're more than welcome to check out my web site. I document everything I do on my 944. My hope is that it might help someone else work through an issue that I had to deal with as well. Feel free to check it out and e-mail me with any questions you might have (or this list of course)

Pontiac Performance .NET

(Click on "Current Cars" and select "1984 Porsche 944")

Having gone through this for the past 6 months, my first recommendation to you is to think hard about what you want from the car. If you're going to keep the 84 / 944, keep in mind that when it's all pristine and new, it will NOT be a fast car. When cleaned / restored properly, it can be a VERY nice, sporty, great handling, sophisticated sports car. It sounds nice, the interior can be quite luxurious and sophisticated for "the time". Especially if you take the time on items with attention to detail and sound deadening. But no matter what you spend, you'll run at best a mid 7 second 0-60 time, and a mid/high 15 second quarter mile.

If you're OK with that, then the 84 (in my opinion) is an awesome car. Keep in mind too that it will get very expensive. After looking at my site and seeing all the work I've done to my 84, keep in mind that it's all cost quite a bit of money. I bought the car for just under $1,300 bucks. I've really come to the realization after having bought this car that what the older guys have been telling me really is true. It's usually best to buy the nicest example you can get in the beginning. The cheapest car isn't always the best because you end up spending sometimes TWICE that to get it to the same condition as a slightly more expensive example in the beginning. Parts are not cheap on the Porsche. I recommend doing most of your shopping on eBay for big things. Find lots of local junkyards that have 944s to get the odds and ends you might be missing. 944 Online, Pelican Parts, and several other shops have lots of parts. Don't be pressured into one store as they all tend to have slightly better deals than eachother when it comes to specific pieces. It's best to make a checklist of everything you need so that you can save on shipping costs. I found myself making 2-3 orders a week when I could have consolidated it all to one order.

Anyway, I don't know what your experience / technical aptitude is, but I figured I would give that advice above on the off chance that it might be helpful. If not take it for what it's worth.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 05-27-2007, 12:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

On my car, the item in the first picture was the cruise control. It didn't look like that though, so I dunno.

It looks like you'll need a new wire harness...I'm sure one of the guys on here has one laying around (try MPD47; he replaced all his wiring on his track car).

And the last picture is your airflow meter (AFM). It figures out how much air is going through it and tells the computer how much gas to inject. Why the cover is gone is beyond me.

Quick Reply: My new 944