Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Cap Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Supachink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Cap Install

I know how to use the search function, and I did, but im looking for help installing the early dash cap for my cracked dash. I've read that a lot of people said not to glue it down because it will end up warping and looking worse than a cracked dash. My question is if you dont glue it down, how do you get it to stay in place? Two sided tape? Whats the best way to secure it down to the old dash and what are the steps i should take to get everything to align correctly and what not.

Thanks
Greg
Old 05-23-2007, 05:35 PM
frexe
Instructor

Id say try doublesided tape.. Mine was glued down with something and the heat melted the glue (became quite messy) also the dash pad doesnt stay down as well anymore, it tends to jump out at the corners.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

I glued mine down about a month ago. I put one dab in the middle at the windshield, and one on each end. I also put one dab on each end near the steering column. I used silicone glue. Although we have had some pretty hot days, and the car does sit in the sun ALL the time, it hasn't been over 90* here. The dash hasn't warped.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Mine just stayed in. And to be honest, did not make much noise. There was a tight fit around the steering wheel surround.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Supachink
Racer

lol, I've been outside tryin to testfit everything. I wish it would just stick in place. Im just afraid to use the glue because its a mess and Im kind of OCD so when it comes down to something sticking in place i tend to get crazy. Im going to run down to Home Depot and grab a roll of double sided tape and give it a shot. If it ends up squeakeing and stuff Ill probably pull it off and glue it with silicone glue. Thanks for everyones input, Ill throw some pics up shortly when i finsih.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had two of them and they both warped after gluing. Next time, I will sand down the high spots and just put some light duty felt down in key spots. With my first dash cap, I waited awhile to glue it and it looked much better. Double-sided tape did not work for me.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

You're supposed to sand down any rough/raised spots on the dash if its cracked; then you wipe it all off with an ammonia-based cleaner like Windex and then you can use the silicon glue.

I did mine like this a few months ago and it worked pretty well. I need to reglue the passenger side though, as it has come up in recent weeks.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Supachink
Racer

Yeah, I planned on sanding down the old dash, I've gone about cutting off all of the loose vinyl, but there are minnimal raised areas, 1/2" spots where the spits came up, but nothing major... just cracked beyond belief. I looked at the double sided tape at home depot and decided Im not going to use that either. Ill just have to keep looking around until i find something perfect that I think i can get to work.

Quick Reply: Dash Cap Install