Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got killed by a Honda the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007 | 10:57 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Ok ok, yes I understand that it's mighty fun to act like you're gonna race and then not, but come on people, don't act all "high and mighty" because you've never "street raced." I have always maintained that there is a difference between driving fast and driving recklessly; I often have a fun time of putting ricers in their place at stoplights, only to stop accelerating as soon as I get to the speed limit.

IMO, street racing is dangerous under the wrong circumstances. If you're the only one around and some punk-*** pulls up next to you wanting to race, kick his ***! It's that continual search for testosterone that makes us men, after all!

Now, I fully understand this does not apply to some of you -- the more exciting people out there (just kidding!)
Old 05-21-2007 | 11:06 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

It really is amazing what some idiots do out there. I am all for a stoplight run or an occasional blast on the highway when circumstances warrent.

BUT, just coming home today this *** in an eclipse passes me on the right (mind you I was on rt 80 in rush hour congestion already doing 80mph), gets in front of me, brakes, downshifts, takes off, passes the guy infront of me on the right. Then at some point gets beside me and is revving and wants to go at it (we still are doing 80mph at this point btw). This is with cars not 7 car lengths in front of both of us.

Ya gotta wonder.
Old 05-21-2007 | 11:10 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Ok ok, yes I understand that it's mighty fun to act like you're gonna race and then not, but come on people, don't act all "high and mighty" because you've never "street raced."
I'm not high and mighty... The n/a is just too damn slow
Old 05-22-2007 | 12:16 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I went off a light yesterday against my friend's Saab 93 (2.0T) and got whipped...the 944 wasn't THAT far behind it though...lol. By the time I hit 60 he had maybe 2 lengths...

And so today I was looking at my local 944 racer shop and am considering his supercharger kit.
Old 05-22-2007 | 01:05 AM
Gremlin85
Racer

Originally Posted by CameronKame
I'm not high and mighty... The n/a is just too damn slow

Same here. I know that I can get beat by dodge caravan, so i brush off most races.

The only time I got into it with the 944 was on the same road on my way to work. A honda P.O.S. was riding my *** for a couple lights. Once I got to a light before my turn i pulled into the next lane. We both took off, he kept up with me for a ways and then I turned off. Looking over I saw white smoke pooring out his exhaust. He didn't look to happy.
Old 05-22-2007 | 03:52 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about some flash cards to reinforce the message?

Old 05-22-2007 | 04:00 AM
Anaheim944
Instructor

Just pull over, tighten your laces and 1st to the pass the fire hydrant wins.
Old 05-22-2007 | 09:58 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Ok ok, yes I understand that it's mighty fun to act like you're gonna race and then not, but come on people, don't act all "high and mighty" because you've never "street raced." I have always maintained that there is a difference between driving fast and driving recklessly; I often have a fun time of putting ricers in their place at stoplights, only to stop accelerating as soon as I get to the speed limit.

IMO, street racing is dangerous under the wrong circumstances. If you're the only one around and some punk-*** pulls up next to you wanting to race, kick his ***! It's that continual search for testosterone that makes us men, after all!

Now, I fully understand this does not apply to some of you -- the more exciting people out there (just kidding!)
Racing increases the odds that something bad will happen, plus even if you're dripping with driving skillz there's no way to know how good the other guy is. Not to mention brakes fail, tires blow out, kids appear from between parked cars. People die doing this, and personally I'd hate to have someone's death on my conscience for the rest of my life just because I wanted a testosterone rush.

Besides, my automatic NA couldn't beat a tricycle off the line.
Old 05-22-2007 | 01:28 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mamooguy
Besides, my automatic NA couldn't beat a tricycle off the line.

Haha my turbo'd saturn was an auto...oh how young and foolish I was...

My 951 is easily the quickest car I've owned (definitely not driven, mind), and I've actually found myself less-likely to end up racing someone at a light. Ricers are much more hesitant to race a porsche saying "turbo" on the back...

And, I'm just a badass. Intimidation is key
Old 05-22-2007 | 01:36 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Yesterday I was on the freeway in the fastlane doing probably 90 (the slowlane is at least 80) and when I merged into it there was no one behind me for maybe a half mile. Within a few minutes the speck in my mirror turned into a Toyota SUV no more than 20 feet astern...The guy looked kind of angry that this insolent little sports car was only doing 25 over the limit and was signaling me to move over. I responded by letting off the gas and forcing him to panic-brake as my engine slowed me down...he finds an open spot in the lane to our right and jumps over, and then I downshift and fly past him.

wait...so he signalled you to move over...and you slowed down.
your cool...
Old 05-22-2007 | 07:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

It was more of a one-finger signal.
Old 05-22-2007 | 07:33 PM
John D.
Banned

This thread went from funny - to stupid.

It's closed.

Have a nice evening.

John D.

Quick Reply: I got killed by a Honda the other day...