Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt, A/C, and Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:29 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt, A/C, and Power Steering

Hey guys...

I've got an 84 / 944. I've just gone through the interior of my car and I'm about 99% done (with the interior). Now I'm working on the engine compartment. Now I KNOW the motor runs as I had it running before I started tearing down the interior. Now that I'm focusing on the engine compartment though, I've come to realze that there are quite a few things missing. As a matter of fact, the ONLY belt accessory that I seem to have is the alternator (which is massive). I don't have a compressor or a power steering pump.

I'm not sure what lines go to the A/C, and which ones go to the power steering. As a matter of fact, I don't see any power steering lines at all. I have a power steering fill container and noticed that one of the lines underneath it are non existant. I removed the cap to check the level and surprise... empty.

So, I know for a fact that I want A/C in the vehicle, but I'm not so sure that power steering is necessarily important for me. However, I'd like my wife to be able to drive the 944 when I'm finished.

Can anyone tell me what my options are for power steering VS no power steering?

Also, what can I expect to pay for all this stuff? The A/C condensor (or whatever the radiator thing is) looks like it's in good shape, but the inside has been exposed to the elements (the ends were never capped off). What cars can I pull all of this A/C stuff off of? Are all 944s compatible when it comes to A/C?

Also, what are the tools that I'll need to do the timing belt on my 944? I have new rollers, and two new belts.

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 PM
82-T/A
Racer

bump
Old 05-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any pictures of the belt area? How is the accessory belt tensioned if there is no ac compressor, as that is usually the swiveling part that tensions the belt.

Also, you may have a power steering rack and power steering reservoir and the mounting bolt for the pump may have broken so the previous owner just removed the pump completely?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

If the A/C hoses are still there they should be floating around near the alternator, probably attached to the drivers side frame rail.

As for steering, my car has a PS rack that blew out the seals. Rebuilt it, and it blew out again. It's really not hard to drive once you get over, say, 10MPH; feels like any other car's steering in terms of effort. When you're trying to pull into a tight parking spot it is a little difficult but with big enough arms and fast enough hands its doable. From what I've heard, the manual racks are similar.

You'll need a special tool for tightening your pulleys; Bruce Arnn (a member here) makes his own line of tools for these cars for good prices. You can also find the necessary tools at www.pelicanparts.com or one of the various 944 suppliers.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
If the A/C hoses are still there they should be floating around near the alternator, probably attached to the drivers side frame rail.

As for steering, my car has a PS rack that blew out the seals. Rebuilt it, and it blew out again. It's really not hard to drive once you get over, say, 10MPH; feels like any other car's steering in terms of effort. When you're trying to pull into a tight parking spot it is a little difficult but with big enough arms and fast enough hands its doable. From what I've heard, the manual racks are similar.

You'll need a special tool for tightening your pulleys; Bruce Arnn (a member here) makes his own line of tools for these cars for good prices. You can also find the necessary tools at www.pelicanparts.com or one of the various 944 suppliers.

Thanks! I appreciate the response. I'm curious about one thing. Do I need to buy a manual steering rack in order for me to be able to properly drive the car, or is it totally acceptable for me to drive the car as it is with the non-functioning power steering rack?

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt, A/C, and Power Steering