Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can bad grounding be a source of poor radio/satelite reception?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007 | 12:44 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Default Can bad grounding be a source of poor radio/satelite reception?

I have boosted the regular antenna, repositioned my Sirius antenna (from dash to hatch), I have had three different headunits (last one works fine in my other vehicle) and I get lame reception in areas I should not. I have identified a good many of the grounds on the car and plan on cleaning and reinstalling them in the next few days. Could bad grounding be the culprit? Particularly at the headlights/front frame? Any other suggestions for better reception would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Michael
Old 05-07-2007 | 12:54 AM
hpservertech
Pro

Oh yea!

Is it bad reception or just bad sound, could be bad speaker wiring if it's sound. Is the HU a sirus HU or an external unit that is powered by the cig. lighter? If external check that ground/wiring as well.
Old 05-07-2007 | 01:20 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Thanks HP. This is such a long and annoying issue for me. Any help is appreciated. Sound is fantastic. The headunit is only used as a pre-amp, with the amp in the spare tire well. Earlier, it was all wired with a different headunit and no amp with the same crummy reception results. Currently, the headunit and the Sirius unit are one. It is powered off of the wiring around the cigarette lighter if not directly from it. Thanks for any help. Michael

Quick Reply: Can bad grounding be a source of poor radio/satelite reception?