Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 - Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cell, and Sender (which sender works in fuel cell?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Fairfax 944
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 - Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cell, and Sender (which sender works in fuel cell?)

I recently picked up a race prepared 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo. The gas gauge does not work properly, and I'm looking for some advice/knowledge. Right now, the gauge is almost always in the middle position, regardless of the amount of fuel.

The car has a fuel cell with a three wire fuel tank sender. One wire is ground, one wire is positive, and the other wire is yellow, and indicates the fuel level. I cut the ground wire going to the sender and attached it to a good clean ground to make sure that was not the issue (nothing changed when I did this). There are two adjustment potentiometers on the fuel sender; one for the high fuel level, and the other for the zero or low fuel level.

By adjusting the two potentiometers on the sender, I can make the fuel gauge on the instrument cluster go up and down, so it looks like the instrument cluster and wire from the sender to the instrument cluster is working. I have not yet pulled the sender out of tank.

Based on my research, the stock gauge and sender operate based on a changing resistance in the fuel sender, depending on the fuel level. The sender I have appears to output a different voltage, depending on the fuel level.

Does anybody know of a fuel sender that works with a 944 that I can use in a fuel cell? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I can change to an aftermarket fuel guage, but right now, I'm using all factory gauges, and I'd rather not have an aftermarket fuel gauge.

The previous owner did not do any of this work, and does not have any answers. (Sorry but I posted this earlier today on the 944 Turbo forum, but I think it's more appropriate here.)

Quick Reply: 944 - Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cell, and Sender (which sender works in fuel cell?)