Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S/S2 Engine Bay upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S/S2 Engine Bay upgrade

Just wanted to let the 16V 944 owners know of a little upgrade for engine bay asthetics/simplicity.

I'll be upgrading the Fuel Rail on my 944S to a 968 fuel rail. Why you ask? Well, after beginning my power coating business I wanted the best looking engine bays for my cars. I obtained an extra 944S fuel rail, stripped it, and powder coated it. I called pelican to order some new fuel damper lines. The reason I called was that I coudn't find them on the website. Well, after about 25 minutes, the customer service person I was speaking with, found what I needed...a BRAND NEW fuel rail. Apparently, the 944S/S2 fuel rail comes from the factory with the fuel damper lines (they have a special metal fitting on the inside), and once they are broken you have to get a new or another used fuel rail. To powder coat the 944S/S2 fuel rail you would have to remove the fuel damper lines, because they will burn up in the oven. Well, since my fuel rail is HIDEOUS, and sticks out like a sore thumb, I searched for another option.

One day while searching ebay for parts i don't need, I came across a 968 fuel rail. By looking at, it looked like a pretty close fit. But the seller wanted $195 for it. (That was out of the queston for something that was "iffy").

After awhile, I forgot about the project ... One day I got to talking to someone about their 944S that had a 968 motor transplanted in it. He said the 944S fuel lines were a direct fit....

So I called up Oklahoma Foreign and bought a 968 fuel rail at a VERY resonable price. Upon receiving it, I examined it next to my 944S fuel rail. The verdict was...Minor differences that wouldn't effect much.

So i powder coated the 968 fuel rail, and I am about to install it....

Here are some pics...

968 fuel rail - black
944S/S2 fuel rail (without fuel damper lines) - chrome

As you can see, the FPR goes in the same place, the same way, and the fuel return line fitting is the same size, and in the same place.

This pic shows where the 968 fuel rail deletes the fuel damper. Which I say is cool, its one less thing you have to worry about failing, or troubleshooting.

Since the fuel damper is deleted, you have to bypass the vacuum line that runs to the fuel damper. Here is a diagram showing which vacuum line...

Old 04-22-2007, 06:45 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

I dunno - 928 owners who have tried to delete the dampners have had fueling issues.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:09 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I dunno - 928 owners who have tried to delete the dampners have had fueling issues.
Considering the 968 doesn't even have one, i'm not worried....

On another note, while looking at the other options, I called Tim @ SFR and he would have made me one, and deleted the damper as well.

Quick Reply: 944S/S2 Engine Bay upgrade