Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woo Hoo finally pulled the trigger!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Woo Hoo finally pulled the trigger!

Finally after many, many years I've bought a Porsche! 1987 944 Turbo with gasp 163,500 miles.

Well the previous owner took care of many of the usual issues, motor mounts, power steering rack, wastegate, exhaust issues, etc. Engine is strong, clutch very good and it's in pretty darn good shape.

However, within 30 minutes of driving it off the lot the turn signals quit working! The lights come on but do not blink. Grrr. Any initial thoughts as to the cause? Logic say look at the turn signal switch in the steering column but I've read that issues with the hazard switch can create a bit of chaos too.

Looks like I'll be chasing a few electrical challenges, poor instrument cluster lights, inoperable interior light and a power seat switch installed backwards.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:44 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome to the list and to p-car ownership!!! First thing I will tell you is that if the belts haven't been done, DO THEM NOW!!! They may look good, but if you are not sure, DO THEM NOW!!! I would rather do them not knowing they only have 1000 miles on them and be safe, then they look like they have 1000 miles on them and be close to snapping.

Also, check and see when the waterpump was done. If it's been 60k miles, get that changed as well!!

As far as lights go, turn the hazard switch on. If that stays solid, check the relays, check fuses, and if necessary, check your grounds.

Again, welcome and enjoy the BOOOOOOOSSST!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Belts done too. They guy did so much I couldn't list it all! All told he spent just short of $7000 on repairs and maintenance. All the work done less than 14K miles ago.

Other stuff already taken care of include cam belt, balance belt, tensioners, oil pan gasket, ball joints. A ton of stuff on the invoice and of course the writing isn't the easiest to read.

Well its going to be a beautiful day today so it'll be a good day outside working and messing around with the car!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations on your purchase!

You're likely to find quite a few electrical bugs as time passes (such has been the case with me). As was stated earlier, check the fuses (under the hood in a black box just forward of the driver), and if you can get into the dash you'll want to check the contacts. Absolutely definitely check the grounds. And relays too.

Good luck and enjoy your car. Perfect time of year for a convertible!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
Finally after many, many years I've bought a Porsche! 1987 944 Turbo with gasp 163,500 miles.

Well the previous owner took care of many of the usual issues, motor mounts, power steering rack, wastegate, exhaust issues, etc. Engine is strong, clutch very good and it's in pretty darn good shape.

However, within 30 minutes of driving it off the lot the turn signals quit working! The lights come on but do not blink. Grrr. Any initial thoughts as to the cause? Logic say look at the turn signal switch in the steering column but I've read that issues with the hazard switch can create a bit of chaos too.

Looks like I'll be chasing a few electrical challenges, poor instrument cluster lights, inoperable interior light and a power seat switch installed backwards.
My money is on the relay... or the hazard switch... good luck and welcome to the list!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:33 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

In messing about I believe the root issue was with the hazard switch connection. I messed with it a bit and voila turn signals that work.

So how easy is the headlamp upgrade for a real novice?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

In messing about I believe the root issue was with the hazard switch connection. I messed with it a bit and voila turn signals that work.

So how easy is the headlamp upgrade for a real novice?
Rennbay's light harness kit is pretty easy - it was the first do-it-myself project (besides oil change) on Andrew's 944 - and the results are absolutely awesome!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Easiest and most cost efficient way for a headlight upgrade is the H4 light/bulb. Costs around $45 for new housings and as easy as changing a headlight.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

poor instrument cluster lights
Welcome to the world of 944's!

Post Pics!

Quick Reply: Woo Hoo finally pulled the trigger!