Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter boot... 83-85

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter boot... 83-85

Hey guys,

I'm re-doing my entire interior, and I'm at the point where I'd like to install a new shift boot. I've already ordered one off eBay, but I am unable to slide it over the top of the shift ****. Does anyone on here know how I'm supposed to remove the shift **** so that I can install this new shift boot?

The shifter I have is the one where the entire handle is covered in leather, with a single cap that goes over (and into) the center of the shif ****.

This is where I am in my restoration of the interior. Every single piece you see in this picture (except the windshield.. haha) was purchased on eBay from various Porsches and pieced together in this car. Even the carpet is new...

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1974 Volkswagen 412 Type-4 Estate Wagon
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If i remember right, there is a circlip under the rubber bot you have to remove to remove the ****.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Crunky
Pro

Yep, one clip that holds the **** onto the lever, all you need is a common screwdriver to pry it off with. Pretty easy to put back on too.

Edit- what stereo is in that picture? Is it CD deck? I have been looking for a CD player goes well with the early interior, and I think yours looks pretty good in there.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

The nasty rubber boot actually looks kind of cool right there. Kind of reminds me of an EVO or something.

After you get the **** off you have to slide it in from the bottom of the boot...have fun tucking the leather under the cap.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.rennbay.com/kbase/index.php?cmd=article&id=4

It is instructions with one of our old vinyl boots (we now make Leather ones) but it is the same procedure.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

nice...yeah the one little clip under there is all that you need to do before just sliding the **** off. Interior looks good. As a side note, I'm at almost the exact same spot on a very similar project (complete interior replacement/restoration)...its amazing how much spiffing the inside up can do for these cars
Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. Yeah, the interior is coming along great. There are just a few things I need to do before I consider it done. I have to replace the e-brake cable and a few other odds and ends, but I'll go as far as to glue the little corners of the carpet down around the center console, paint the speaker grill screws black to match the cover, I still have to clean up the steering wheel (it's not bolted on yet), and a few other things.

The stereo was a big decision for me. I really wanted something that was factory looking, but I didn't want to give up functionality either. That is a Blaupunkt Key West 168. It's actually a very decent stereo. The face appealed to me because it's just a plain black color to it, it's not overly flashy, but it puts out 42watts per channel (4 channels @ 42 watts each). So... I can use fairly powerful speakers, and not have to go with an aftermarket amp.

This is the second stereo I bought. The first one was an original Blaupunkt CD player from 1987. It's crazy looking, and it uses CD cartridges. (a single CD, in a cartridge). I've decided to keep that one as it is an exact match to the factory casset players that were offered in this car to begin with (I mean, 100% OEM stock looking). But it required a whole series of propritetary amps, subwoofers, speakers and all that other jive. I've got all of the parts (bought the entire lot of OEM brand new Blaupunkt stuff for $130 bucks off eBay). If it comes down to it where I feel the need to restore the car to 100% period correct, I can use that.

This head unit was only $79 on eBay, and produces frequencies from 20hz to 33,000hz.

I did decide to use the OEM Porsche dealer installed Subwoofer. I believe it was offered in the 928s? It's a seperate subwoofer box with dual 5.25" subs in it with it's own amp, cross-over and all that other stuff. It just needs SUB out from the stereo, a positive wire, a ground, and a remote start.

Right now, I only have a set of 4x6" Blaupunkt 50watt speakers (for the doors), and a set of 5.25" Blaupunkt 4-way speakers (in the B-pillar) that produce as low as 22hz. That along with the dealer Blaupunkt 80s Subwoofer and the 80s Tweeter package should give me some pretty decent sound. I took the advice from someone on this list to use the fader switch as a splitter, and that's exactly what I did, but it ALSO works now as a fader too. The front speakers are split in half, powering the front speakers in the door, and a pair of Blaupunkt tweeters that will be installed in the rear. If I want, I can move all the sound to the rear simply by using the fader control to cut out all sound from the front. I can't move all the sound to the front, but I can cut out the tweeters in the back completely... or... I can have them split equally. It's kind of neat.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1974 Volkswagen 412 Type-4 Estate Wagon
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Quick Reply: Shifter boot... 83-85