Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
lilspeedemon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on spark plug wires

I looked under the hood a few nights ago and found out my wires are arcing badly... Seems like new ones will be special order and expensive. So reading old posts, the popular choice is Magnecor or Beru. Anyone have opinions on any other wireset? I've got a stock 87 944 N/A, that will stay that way, so performance for me is a longer lasting set of wires.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the Magnecores because they were a little cheaper than the OEM Beru type at $55. They are good wires however i do have a few gripes. The connectors are not a solid tight fit like the Beru connectors. Its not a huge issue, but something that you should know. The other thing that i have not had problems with, but apparently many have is the boots can rip if you are not careful when removing them. I put a coating of dielectric grease around the sealing surface and have not had any problems with them sticking.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set from Vertex... they were the cheapest by quite a bit. The connectors are Beru and identical to those on the stock wires. Maybe the wire itself is slightly different but I've been very happy with them.

I want to say they were 79 or 89 dollars.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:50 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i bought a performance set from paragon, $150... so a little overpriced i think but they were red to go with my color scheme, i heard stories about magnecor having bad connections, and these had the beru connectors on them so they fit great
Old 04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

I bought a set of the fire braids from Lindsey, very nice and fit great.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 AM
lilspeedemon
Instructor

I decided to go with the 8mm Magnecors... hopefully the fit isn't as bad as everyone says
Old 04-17-2007, 04:15 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Magnecores all the way! The plug ends don't quite have the "solid" fit of the stock Beru type, however IMO they are overall more durable then the stock wires. I'm not too fond of the Beru ends as I've had several wires break by pulling out of the screw in connector. This combined with the high price of the stock wires is the reason I will never buy an OEM set of Porsche plug wires ever again. Most aftermarket stuff is better so why waste the money.

Clewett Engineering plug wires are awesome quality. I'd highly recommend them as well. I really have no gripes about them whatsoever.

Nology plug wires, avoid them like the plague. The crappy ground strap design that features a ss braided ground strap for each plug end is just useless. I forgot all of the specifics but, after speaking with several knowledgeable and experienced engineers in the past, it seems that the Nology design would cause a voltage drop across the entire ignition system because of the grounded design, which isn't a good thing. On top of that they are pretty expensive. I would just avoid these altogether and save yourself the trouble.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

got my magnacores-last two sets actually - off ebay for $50- work and hold up great!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:05 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Nobody likes Bosch wires then....?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pjburges
Nobody likes Bosch wires then....?
Meh. They're okay but, IIRC, I thought they were like $100 or $140 or something? Personally, the Magnecores are better quality IMO, and they are cheaper so I see no reason to buy the Bosch ones unless you like the name or something.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:35 AM
lilspeedemon
Instructor

Exactly... I wanted the Bosch ones but at $122 + change, then having to wait four days for them... it doesn't seem worth it... I picked up the Magnecor wires for $63 dollars, shipped. I do have to wait to see what brown can do for me, but for the savings it's worth it. To top it all off the Magnecors seem like a higher quality set compared to the Bosch wires.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:17 AM
mark_uss
Racer

Wink spark plugs wires

mine no 3 was badly broken by a wise mecanic that pull very strong and breake in half the wire...and i put a ford transit wire and it works
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
+1.

Also, check out this place for Beru ended wires in colors...

http://www.kingsborne.com/index.htm
These are the people that make the firebraided wires for Lindsey. They are not made specifically for Lindsey as they advertise. These wires use a non resistive boot that is compatible with the BERU rubber end that fits into the head.

You can get the wires with or without the firebraid and also in custom configurations for standalone users that have different coil setups.

You can buy directly from them - ask for Warren, he's a good guy.

BTW - I think a set with the firebraid costs $79 and I believe it's $10 less if you don't want the firebraid.

Quick Reply: opinions on spark plug wires