Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch shudder when down gearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:32 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Dude, don't forget to blip the throttle to bring the revs up before you do that. shudder = gone when you do that.
Old 04-13-2007 | 01:02 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Airflite40
Why would you do that? Why not just take it out of gear (N) and slow the car down by using the brakes when approaching a stop light?
Sorry if I sound stupid, like I said, I'm new to the whole 5spd thing....
Anything else is new to me, and I've done it for 3 years. Then I always get a rude awakening when I try stopping like that and the first snow of the season is on the ground.
Old 04-13-2007 | 03:45 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Dude, don't forget to blip the throttle to bring the revs up before you do that. shudder = gone when you do that.
Yeah, if you double-clutch it should slide right into any gear if you've got the engine, transmission, and wheel speeds all matched up. I slow the car down like this, but I don't do it by scrubbing on the clutch, I double-clutch to engage/disengage quickly. Is there any problem with this? If anyone has ever driven a big box-body truck that has a cable-shifter (like our 911 buddies, if I'm not mistaken, although I don't really know) and next-to-worthless syncros, you HAVE to do this to avoid throwing around your cargo with the big air brakes.

Uneven flywheel surface can give you shudder when engaging/disengaging the clutch. Is it worse just after you've driven the car hard or slipped the clutch too much under throttle?
Old 04-13-2007 | 04:29 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
I only go down to 2'nd and select 1'st after I came to a full stop.
As do I, usually, if I know I'm gonna be stopped. But in the case of a "california stop" or when the light is just changing, I get it into first before I've stopped. It is not harmful on the tranny.

And yes, it is always good to be in-gear for evasive purposes. It's ESPECIALLY important when riding a motorcycle. Drivers just don't see you and I've had a few instances of being stopped at a light and someone tries to move over into my lane while on my bike. They would have swiped me, were it not for me being able to get the hell outta there.

Airflite, it sounds like you've never autocrossed before. I definitely recommend it, as it teaches you the TRUE quirks of any car, as well as gets you more accustomed to up -- but mostly down -- shifting quickly and under heavy-load situations. It's also outrageous fun.

Also, on the street you should heel-toe as often as you can (where appropriate, of course). It's not just a maneuver that is handy in race-situations. I've certainly been thankful of my habitual heel-toeing when faced in evasive-maneuver situations.
Old 04-13-2007 | 10:45 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay

I match rpms when downshifting and always compression brake... do it in the 944 and my motorcycle.

Just a bike habit really, I like to be in or near the powerband in case I need to get back on the gas.

Neither will shudder, why is this bad?
Old 04-14-2007 | 02:59 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Is it worse just after you've driven the car hard or slipped the clutch too much under throttle?
No its not, it never happen when pulling of or going up the gears no matter how hard you pull of or how much you slip the clutch.

I understand that heel & toe will help but it should not be necessary in all my other cars I have never had this problem.

Something is wrong with my '44 and I want to find out what it is.

Quick Reply: Clutch shudder when down gearing