Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thomas Knight E-Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

LONG day at work.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's a pretty complete setup you've got there...how much'd you pay for the whole shibang?!

+ points for originality
- points for cost...I woulda aftermarket turbo'd the sucker.

But yes -- keep us updated.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:00 AM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Envy
Ok, I owe it to the gang to provide some feedback...so here it is;

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2217079

See my page 6.. in the process of moving so I won't be able to answer to many emails but I will keep my web page updated as best I can for the next few weeks....
Nice project, I really like your response to the gomers on page six, lol. When I started reading this thread the first thought I had was "how are people going to resolve the fueling issues with such a setup..." I see you are not screwing around(meaning you are only ignoring the issue currently, lol).

One thing though, your car looks great, but holy ****, I've never seen a 944 that looked more like an RX7(if that was the only 944 one ever saw, they'd think the styling Porsche used was copied from the Japanese instead of the revere!). Clean ride though, keep the board updated on your progress.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

That's an interesting read. The numbers seem high on the results but it's the same theory on a regular SC with the limiting factor being the batteries/alternator output and charge cycle.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Ok, well the whole set up was cheap in comparison to conventional methods. $1600 for the supercharger, $300 for the APexi, $500 for setup and belts, $120 for the Lindsey bracket...so not bad. I do need to dyno but as mentioned it is very responsive. Now, I did leave out the "whine". Yes, the SC whines and some love it. No mistaking the sound but it does get annoying. As far as the lights bar...no it hits the discharge elbow. A flatter elbo w would work but I've yet to find a 4 inch one.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think it's worth it? 15 seconds or so of power for $2,520 is sort of steep. Yet it is cheaper than a 951.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The AFM/MAF should be before the blower.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1212
The AFM/MAF should be before the blower.
It doesn't matter.

55+ (I lost count) supercharged 928's are running just fine with the MAF/AFM after the blower & IC.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Also, if it was worth a damn, you'd see the racing industry getting its hands wet with this "new technology."

...F1 was implementing technology in the early '80's that has only just begun to grace production cars.

in F1 racing it is against the rules to store brake energy which would be the only real efficient and effective way for race cars to get the energy they need for this kind of system.

speaking of storing brake energy i wonder if its possible to somehow swap a system for storing brake energy from a prius or some other hybrid into a differect car.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

false claims made by the e-ram supercharger clowns aside, and thanks to a real effort by a real automaker, the dream of a real, workable, bolt-on system could soon become a reality !!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597327

it's a given i don't know jack about your's alls turbos,

but i did say this 11 months ago in reverence to the bogus e-ram claims...

Originally Posted by odurandina

a 3 or 4 psi increase at the intake manifold would REALLY help the cause of any medium displacement engine.

a forced induction system on demand (a closed off system) that would shut down, and via a bypass, default back to your general intake system would be possible, and likely, workable. it would require a real supercharger on the order of say 80 % of the size of an ordinary supercharger, run via a large electrical motor that would require on the order of perhaps 8~12 X 1,000 watts of power AND SPIN VERY FAST.... maybe run for less than a minute, get VERY hot in the process, and run your battery down very quickly....

it could be done. would it be practical ? i say, "to some extent, yes." it would beat having to recharge a bottle any old day, not burn up your pistons, or destroy your head gasket, and might weigh perhaps, 35 or 40 pounds.

would it produce miraculous performance gains ? no. would it hurt the overall performance of the car ? a little
Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never seen one of these but I'm very skeptical, just to put this in perspective a friend who builds super charger systems for pontiacs and chevys has a electric powered test rig for running eaton super chargers. The motor to run it is 3 phase measures 14" dia x 16" and needs a forklift to move it! And that is JUST to run the super charger.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's an interesting solution BMW has for reducing lag. I can see where an electric motor system can be used to reduce the second or so, it takes for the turbo to begin spooling and doing noticeable work. It will help only in range where its not creating positive manifold pressure. It still used an exhaust turbine to do the real work.

Any manufacturer of an, electric powered, forced induction system claiming to be useable in the same way as a conventional forced induction device, is lying to you.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you're both probably right...

(negatives)...

1. large alternator (+ weight, power loss).

2. larger battery (+ weight).

3. electric motor/blower mounting hardware, intake plumbing and bypass (significant added weight).

4. only 30 or 40 hp gain on demand and lower performance when not getting boost.

5. due to poor conductivity/efficiency in the alternator, wires, battery, blower and motor there would be a lot of electrical power lost just making heat (everywhere);

(positives);

1. less power on board, but no belts or brackets required.

2. you really only need a little more hp a small % of the time, so the power requirements could be spread out over a longer time interval. a regulator would sense power running out and simply revert back to open intake.

3. 30 or 40 hp power for a few seconds every few minutes/hours might be cool.

small wonder why the automotive industry never bothered.

/

Last edited by odurandina; 11-05-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Thomas Knight E-Supercharger?