Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tool Ever: Motive Power Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:42 PM
indefactorX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely awesome product, I bought one a few years back for my 928, absolutely indispensable item.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Fabulous product, but I've got a question about it. I use it the "clean" way, by just pressurizing a very full master cyl, with only air in the motive. It works great for me, but you have to keep an eye on the master fluid level. I've heard other guys fill the motive with brake fluid and pump it in, so they have a liter on tap before they need to worry about fluid levels. It seems like a royal pain in the **** to dump fluid back and forth and the extra cleanup. Which way do you use it, wet or dry?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used mine wet because it was the first time and was just following directions, then just pumped it back into the empty container (yes, i spilled some when it got to the top because it wouldn't quit pissing all over the place), i bought 2 quarts, used just under 1 quart. but i had them both in the bleeder :/
Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Fabulous product, but I've got a question about it. I use it the "clean" way, by just pressurizing a very full master cyl, with only air in the motive. It works great for me, but you have to keep an eye on the master fluid level. I've heard other guys fill the motive with brake fluid and pump it in, so they have a liter on tap before they need to worry about fluid levels. It seems like a royal pain in the **** to dump fluid back and forth and the extra cleanup. Which way do you use it, wet or dry?
I always use it wet because that's what the instructions say. I don't think it ever occurred to me to use it dry. I take my best guess how much to put in and I've never had too much left over. I throw away the excess instead of trying to save it, then rinse it out with alcohol.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

Wet. If you get good at it (I've had WAAAAAYYYY too much practice), you can run EXACTLY 1 liter of fluid through and end with a PERFECT level in the reservoir. Takes a bit of practice, but it's rare that I have to remove more than an ounce or two outta the reservoir.

Using it wet keeps the fluid level high and lessens the risk of air getting sucked into the clutch feed line (which really can be a drag).

The tank draws fluid from the bottom, so if you keep it upright it works quite well.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I gotta go out and change or inspect the hose after reading the atomizing note above
Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Used mine this weekend. Bled the clutch and brakes in 45 minutes working at a leisurely pace. Perfect tool for the job -- totally awesome! I would pay twice the price in a heartbeat rather than bleed the oldfashioned way. It's actually pretty durable, too. Mine's 3 years old and still works like new.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I have the Motive but a good 650 lb impact wrench can't be beat. I just did a suspension bushing job on my sons 4WD ranger today, without the impact wrench we would still be out there in the garage.
The impact wrench sounds better too!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:50 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Yes, you can use it clean. I use Castrol SRF which is clear and don't want to mess it up with the blue stuff. When I use it with blue, I fill the reservoir and simply use the bleeder to pressurize the system. Absolutely no problem with that as long and you don't run the reservoir dry.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know about the power bleeder, but with the homemade version, you can make it self level the master cylinder when your done. All it takes is to have the barb through the master cap stick down to the level you want the fluid to be at when your done. When I am finished, I put the bleeder below the level of the master and release the pressure at he bleeder. This sucks/blows out the fluid to the level of the 'down pipe'.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I got a MC cap to make a pressure system of my own. I could not find the HELP! part in stock but it crossed over to a NAPA part, 675-1228. I drilled a 1/2" hole in it and fitted an air tool air fitting with the standard 1/4 NPT, I also caulked up the air vent with RTV as described above. I plan to use it with my small air compressor, I can put 10 PSI into the tank and hook it up. If that is not easy to use I'll get a garden sprayer and put a female air tool QD onto that. If it works I'll try it when I swap the winter tires off my A8.

Thanks for the notes on building a homebrew pressure bleeder.
-Joel.

Quick Reply: Best Tool Ever: Motive Power Bleeder