Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beer and Hookers!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Gremlin85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These all sound like typical terrible telemarketers.

I work for an Insurance company (no names) and sometimes I have to 'cold call'. Whenever we take a rate decrease we use a list that is 'scrubbed' against the Do Not Call/ Do Not Solicite National lists and then I call away. I only call to peak intrest in seeing if I can save you money on whatever Insurance you have. I'll usually start asking for the name listed on the paper, sometimes its that person or I have to ask for the person or sometimes the person is no longer living. It's hard to do this but is required to stay in business. I don't steam roll you with my script or sound automated, you gotta personalize it and 'feel' the person out. Have conversation if time permitting for the person.

I'm never happy having to cold call, but it's something a lot of business' have to do. I'm not a telemarketer, I'm a licensed agent. But cold calling is a part of my job. Those other calls you get are total rip offs and scams. Just hang up. Putting us through hell is always entertaining but we do what we gotta do... I love getting people on the phone who like to mess with telemarketers... I just mess with you back. Once they ask for the manager or supervisor, I say "you're talking to him".

Liek LegoLand951 said, we're people too. Although I do get a crack at the scam telemarketers every so often.

CHEERS
Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

My dad was native-born german, so he'd answer the phone auf deutsch. When they got confused, he'd act confused too. Those who would normally call us grew to expect to hear some german if they called during peak solicitor hours.

I'm actually getting fed up with the number of charities that are now calling me. I used to support the Fraternal Order of Police and the Fire Fighter's whatever but lately, because of my career change I just didn't have the money. I politely told them that things are tight right now and to please call again next time when I might have some money I could donate. Two out of every three times those jackasses hang up on me. As such, I will no longer donate to them.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to call me to ask for money and then rudely hang up because you aren't getting anything, well, you can go to hell.

I always try to be polite to telemarketers because yes, they are people too. I also try and cut them off early if I'm not interested so as to not waste their time (although I've had to hang up on people who just don't get it). But with the growing number of hangups (both after talking to them and the times when the phone would ring and no one would be there when I picked it up) I just don't care to do business with them anymore.

I'm on the do not call list but that's not keeping the charities from calling me constantly.

I think I'm going to try the "beer and hookers" response myself...

BB.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 PM
ApexCars
Pro

I've had to do some cold calling and I've hired telemarketers to work for me. It sucks and the turnover is high. It sucks even more when you get someone that jsut cusses you out or is extremely rude. I used to get off the phone and think, "*******, I have your name and address right here. You can't find me but I can find you!" Having someone doing goofy stuff can be fun though and gives you something to talk about with the other people at work. Lots of college students work as telemarketers because they can make it work around there school schedules. Because I've been on the other end of the line, I usually try to be polite at the first but if they are pushy, or go on too long, I quickly change my tune.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gremlin85

I'm never happy having to cold call, but it's something a lot of business' have to do. I'm not a telemarketer, I'm a licensed agent. But cold calling is a part of my job. Those other calls you get are total rip offs and scams. Just hang up. Putting us through hell is always entertaining but we do what we gotta do... I love getting people on the phone who like to mess with telemarketers... I just mess with you back. Once they ask for the manager or supervisor, I say "you're talking to him".
I am a telemarketer. Well, I manage my companies telemarketing department so I dont call much anymore, but its funny how creative people think they are when we call people. My favorite is the guy that watched that Seinfeld episode, "Well why dont you give me your home number and Ill call you back later?" My response "Sure Mr Seinfeld, lets see when we buy our numbers we pay .02 per name and we have a minimum purchase of 100,000 numbers. All I need i your credit card info or a check for $1000 and well get that info right out to you. " They usually hang up. My favorite part is when they ask for the manager, "Sure hold on let me get him for you, Oh yeah I am the manager how can i help you?" Here is a suggestion for those of you that dont want to be called. Register at www.donotcall.gov. Except for a few situations, you wont receive any more telemarketing calls.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:02 PM
JayP
Pro

At one point, I was getting 5 to 6 calls a night from telemarketers. After signing up for the no-call list, I don't get any except for a few per week. I kind of gave up on pranking- I have better things to do now.

I did get a call from Danny Glover for Earthlink. It was Danny Glover, the actor's nephew named Danny... I chatted up with him, said his uncle was cool in Die Hard.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to have a newspaper call me all the time for subscriptions, usualy a girl wold call so the phone would ring and I woud hear:

Hi! This is Cathy from the Star ledger, can I tell you about our subscriptions?
Then in my most creepy deep pervert voice I would say "So, what are you wearing Cathy??"
Dead silence...
"So, what are you wearing"
Usually they would hang up.

Than one night it was:

Hi, This is Bill from the star ledger....
"Hi Bill, so...what are you wearing?"

Old 04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a cold caller try to sell me a funeral plot.

I responded by saying "sorry, but you are a little late"

She said "what?"

I said, "well, you are about two weeks too late."

She said, "oh, so you have already bought a plot."

I said, "no, I wish I had thought of that earlier, or that you had called me earlier, but you never know what to expect."

She said "I am not sure I understand."

I said, "well, I passed about two weeks ago. Live life to the fullest because you never know when it will end."

Stunned silence.

I then hung up.

She never called back.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I used to have a newspaper call me all the time for subscriptions, usualy a girl wold call so the phone would ring and I woud hear:

Hi! This is Cathy from the Star ledger, can I tell you about our subscriptions?
Then in my most creepy deep pervert voice I would say "So, what are you wearing Cathy??"
Dead silence...
"So, what are you wearing"
Usually they would hang up.

Than one night it was:

Hi, This is Bill from the star ledger....
"Hi Bill, so...what are you wearing?"

Yeah, I've done that one too. One time I got a response with what she was wearing. We both laughed.

I don't get too many anymore but one time I pretended to be in the midst of receiving a favor (hint hint). Even told the guy to hold on. He hung up on me!

Quick Reply: Beer and Hookers!!