Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jager Engineering dash panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:30 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Jager Engineering dash panels

Has anyone put the Jager Engineering wood dash panels on their car? I'm thinking about getting a set in black wood to cover the center console area (oil pres. guage and climate control area) in my new black interior. I think that it'd look pretty sweet, but I'd appreciate a second opinion, especially from someone who has done something similar. Thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm a rep for Jager and have sold many kits for the 928. If you click on the link in my signature, you can see pictures of my own wood interior.

Generally, there are authentic woods, authentic carbon, and a number of synthetic materials. The authentic materials are thicker overall, but when seen in the light they have nice depth, and change a bit with the direction of the light. The other materials look a hint more flat, even though there are a few synthetic woods that look very realistic. I can usually tell you which ones look best, since I have all the material samples here to look at.

Obviously, there are a lot more choices in synthetic materials, and the colors are more consistent than in a natural product. Synthetic is also a bit less in terms of cost, and better suited for extreme temperature and sun exposure.

All materials have a strong adhesive backing similar to 3M trim tape, and a clear, non-yellowing polyurethane layer to protect the material.

Overall, I had only one complaint so far, from an owner who also owns a Lamborghini and a Ferrari, and expected these pieces to have Rolls Royce solid wood quality. Obviously that's not realistic. Otherwise I have many happy customers, and can email you pictures they sent me.

PM me with any questions you might have!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:16 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different people have different tastes... and with that, I'll say that I absolutely do NOT like the synthetic look of fake wood. I just spent about $800 dollars replacing an entire interior of my 84/944 where the previous owner painted the entire inside of the car with a spray can of black spray paint (including carpet) and then used a fake wood panel kit on every portion of the car which had a flat surface (gauge surround, the dash area that surrounds the gauge surround, the flat portion of the dash as it wraps around to the door panels which also had wood trim on them, plus the center console and everything else). The car looked absolutely aweful. It looked like someone ghettoed out the interior of a cheap Civic.

I'm a VERY conservative person when it comes to cars. I like things to look 100% stock. But, before you take my comments in a manner that I'm not intending, I WILL say that wood trim CAN look good, and increase the look and quality of the interior. My only advice (with my thinking) is to ONLY use real wood... otherwise don't even bother. And, when you install it, make sure you only install it in areas where you think the FACTORY might put it. To me, this would be the gauge surround, (just the flat portion of surround that holds the gauges) and the flat vertical portion of the center console.

With that, it will look classy, and will accent the interior nicely. IMHO, don't put it all over the car, and don't go with synthetics.

Todd
Old 04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

82-T/A - I definitely understand where you're coming from. I would definitely only use real wood and only in a couple areas and no spray paint (ha, I just spent a fair bit of money to replace the entire brown interior with black parts). Thanks for the advice though

Quick Reply: Jager Engineering dash panels