Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 PM
8744S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start

So after the Winson-Salem Fun Run on last Sunday we ate dinner after and we came into the parking lot and my car went click when I tried to start it. So I tried it a couple more times and it finally started. Then over the course of the week it eventually would not start at all, with the same symptoms. I have now replaced the starter, solinoid, checked the grounds, charged the battery, and tried to jump it. It still won't start. We have no jacked up the rear end and tried to turn the rear wheels with it in reverse. So I have no clues what it could be, as of right now its looking like getting a flat bed to my mechanic and have them look at it. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

~Thanks, Ben
Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Hi Ben,

I couldn't make the drive last Sunday.

I had some similar symptoms last year with my car. It gradulally deteriorated to where it took me about 20 minutes to finally start my car...just kept turning over but wouldn't start. I finally got disgusted and took it over to Jim at Eurowerks. It turned out to be a bad coolant temp sensor.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Bad coolant temp sensor? How was that the problem? Were you cranking but not firing up?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Weston
Racer

Is the motor not cranking, or is it cranking but just not starting? If it's not cranking, can you hear a buzz or a humming noise coming from under the car when you try to start it? If so, the starter is probably not getting enough juice (bad battery ground and/or starter is worn and drawing more amperage than normal). Also check out the electrical half of the ignition switch... I'm not sure about the late 944, but on the 924 and early 944's, it's common for them to crack and the first thing affected is the starting. Beware of cheap replacements on eBay... they don't fit right and will likely cause problems.

If it's cranking but not starting, you'll need to figure out if it's not getting spark or not getting fuel. The spark test is easy... pull the center wire off of the distributor (ie the one that goes to the coil), then stick a screw driver in it so that it's connected to the wire, and positition it so that it's close to, but not touching, bare metal on the engine. Go to start the car and see if it's sparking between that screw driver and the engine. If you have spark, it's likely a fuel issue. If you don't have spark, check the DME relay and then the solder joints in the DME itself.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:16 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

The "S" also has an "Ignition module" in the engine bay behind the driver's side headlight.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
8744S
Racer

sorry for not replying but my internet went a little screwy. Well after jacking the rear wheels of the ground and putting the car into reverse and trying to turn the wheels we decided that something was locked up so it got flat bedded to the mechanic. No sounds were made besides the click of the solenoid. We powered the starter and that works fine and the battery has a full charge. So I'm clueless. Its going to Jim at Eurowerks, Peter.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:15 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Ben, problems like this can drive you crazy. It's worth bringing your car into someone like Jim who knows these cars inside out. He'll figure it out.
Let us know what happened.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
iamgod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any update on this as i have same problem

Quick Reply: No Start