Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB - ASAP Rear Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Nyx
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default WTB - ASAP Rear Brake lines

I have just installed DOT app. SS brake lines at each wheel, and while i was under the car i noticed that some of the hard lines need to be replaced, anyone have pieces around which they want to get rid of? Id like to replace most of them, but the one section which needs immediate attention is the rear right 'Y' distribution hub. Both the left and right rear output lines, and the input line are in bad shape, and since putting the SS lines in, im worried that the now higher pressure in the system since replacing the old rubber lines, which allowed expansion may rupture these rusted lines.

Have any of you guys fabricated your own lines? If so what spec brake line, and couplers will I need if i go this route?

Ps. The new lines feel great... im consdering a Wilwood upgrade possibly later this summer.

Last edited by Nyx; 04-01-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done them for the Porsche, but I ended up replumbing my entire braking system on my truck 6 months ago or so, when one of the hard lines twisted off as I was trying to disconnect the flexible line.

It is not a job for the faint of heart, but it's not that bad once you get into it. After some searching on the web, I bought all the materials from www.fedhillusa.com I'm not sure how long it would have taken me had I gone a different route, but with their stuff, I had the whole system installed, bled, and operating in about 2 days time. They will rent you a kit that includes a professional flaring tool that makes flaring the lines a cinch and a big selection of fittings that you just use whatever you need, return the rest, they count up what comes back, and then just charge you for those fittings.

I'd heard a lot of horror stories about people ending up with tons of leaks when they'd fabbed all their lines up, but I didn't have a single one.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they should have metric lines at any parts store in different lengths- just make sure the ends are shaped the same and the fittings fit correctly
Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the line at the stores is SAE 3/16 but the fittings need to be metric. The problem you're going to run into is that Porsche uses bubble flares and I haven't looked really hard but I have yet to find a tool to make them myself.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Nyx
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I might try and source out parts cars with these pieces for sale insted of try'n to fab them up. Does anyone have any lines for sale? I have an urgent need for this back block and lines. PM me if you have anything. thanks.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah, I've always fabricated my own from off-the-shelf stock at the local parts stores. I think the one down the corner even sells with bubble flare in the M10x1.0 (IIRC) thread, at the correct length (I wanna say 22"?) that is fine to just bend up to suit, no added flaring needed. Cost is about $5.

Quick Reply: WTB - ASAP Rear Brake lines