Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modded '88 944S FS Feeler - now on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:13 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost bid $50 on it, but then decided to not waste jg's time.

I'd say good luck with the sale, but I don't think you should sell it (aside from the storage while gone issue).
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I understand...you put countless hours and drop numerous coin into an old car. You have to be one of two things, crazy or passionate about your ride. We know your not crazy but nothing wrong with some sensible realization and remaining passionate,,,,, I am almost there with this Supercharger project I have been working on, lol Anyways, great car, good luck on the sale!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red_Envy
Yes, I understand...you put countless hours and drop numerous coin into an old car. You have to be one of two things, crazy or passionate about your ride. We know your not crazy but nothing wrong with some sensible realization and remaining passionate,,,,, I am almost there with this Supercharger project I have been working on, lol Anyways, great car, good luck on the sale!
Another problem is that I'm burnt out. I have asked many times for help from Rennlisters.... and I get the same answers "minimal gains" "not worth it". That's not what I want or asked. I'd like to see emperical data, dyno charts, something. My entire exhaust/header system cost 45% of what I paid for my car. Was it worth it? YES! Why? Because I got exactly what I wanted... 10+WHP/10+WTQ and an amazing sound. The exhaust basically cost me $1450 so $150/per HP is expensive, but it did what I wanted it to do. Was it minimal gains? NO! 10WHP is a large gain on a 4cyl N/A motor. Even though people see the kind of money I have spent on this car, I still get the same BS answers when I ask honest questions about performance parts/gains. So, while I am trying to modify the car to a certain point, I am basically on my own. I'm also tired of the "that won't work on a Porsche logic". When the thread came up about my custom 67mm throttle body, people said it wasn't going to work. From what proof would you get that conclusion? dyno charts? datalogs? the answer is heresay. I'm tired of being burnt out....
Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgporsche
Another problem is that I'm burnt out. I have asked many times for help from Rennlisters.... and I get the same answers "minimal gains" "not worth it". That's not what I want or asked. I'd like to see emperical data, dyno charts, something. My entire exhaust/header system cost 45% of what I paid for my car. Was it worth it? YES! Why? Because I got exactly what I wanted... 10+WHP/10+WTQ and an amazing sound. The exhaust basically cost me $1450 so $150/per HP is expensive, but it did what I wanted it to do. Was it minimal gains? NO! 10WHP is a large gain on a 4cyl N/A motor. Even though people see the kind of money I have spent on this car, I still get the same BS answers when I ask honest questions about performance parts/gains. So, while I am trying to modify the car to a certain point, I am basically on my own. I'm also tired of the "that won't work on a Porsche logic". When the thread came up about my custom 67mm throttle body, people said it wasn't going to work. From what proof would you get that conclusion? dyno charts? datalogs? the answer is heresay. I'm tired of being burnt out....
Yeah, this place is frustrating sometimes. Too many different 'camps' with cult like followings. Too much "_____ is crap, you're crazy if you don't use ______".

But in terms of real world data, in your quest you have posted more 'this is the result' dyno charts and logs than anyone else in the past six months. So whether you realize it or not, you've made a difference and set a new tone as now we're starting to see others post real information, comparisons, and true data. So if it's any consolation, your efforts have been a valueable contribution to the community.

My $.02...

Russell
Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by rberry951
Yeah, this place is frustrating sometimes. Too many different 'camps' with cult like followings. Too much "_____ is crap, you're crazy if you don't use ______".

But in terms of real world data, in your quest you have posted more 'this is the result' dyno charts and logs than anyone else in the past six months. So whether you realize it or not, you've made a difference and set a new tone as now we're starting to see others post real information, comparisons, and true data. So if it's any consolation, your efforts have been a valueable contribution to the community.

My $.02...

Russell
Thanks for the words, Russell

1 day left!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by jgporsche
If it makes you feel any better, I have alot of respect for you and everything you have done to your car, you dont see many people actually testing the waters when it comes to a 20 year old NA car. I think that the things you have done are pretty groundbreaking and VERY helpful for me if I decide to start any modding on my S. Would you reccomend your exact exhaust setup or the 944Smax chip first? I was thinking about picking up the max chip this week, but if it isnt going to do much then I figure it would be better to save for something else.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Default 944SMAX V11

This dyno charts shows:

.012 Stock Chip
.013 Performance chip/image

Their were no other changes to the car, other than the chip.

Don't be fooled by the numbers. Their have been changes compard to other runs. What I am trying to show you are actual HP & TQ gains over stock.

Results are as follows:

RPM
2700 - Stock = 45HP 89TQ - V11 = 54HP 105TQ - GAIN 9HP 16TQ

3200 - Stock = 54HP 104TQ - V11 = 69HP 113TQ - GAIN 15HP 9TQ

3700 - Stock = 77HP 110TQ - V11 = 80HP 113TQ - GAIN 3HP 3TQ

4200 - Stock = 81HP 108TQ - V11 = 93HP 115TQ - GAIN 12HP 7TQ

4700 - Stock = 104HP 116TQ - V11 = 110HP 125TQ - GAIN 6HP 9TQ

5200 - Stock = 114HP 115TQ - V11 = 119HP 120TQ - GAIN 5HP 5TQ

5700 - Stock = 129HP 119TQ - V11 = 135HP 124TQ - GAIN 6HP 5TQ

6200 - Stock = 136HP 115TQ - V11 = 140HP 118TQ - GAIN 4HP 3 TQ

That is what you can expect from the chip alone. Their is actually a V12, now, which will gain anther 2-3HP on top. I can also sell you a copy of my custom air intake, which I found was good for a few ponies as well, if you're interested.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

That's an amazing low-end torque gain. The S in my sig was weaker off the line than my 8v car.

Of course, that's not to put down the engine I may pull and sell. Just get the chip and all will be well.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got your buy it now price invested in my 88 n/a with base price, head gasket, clutch, axles, replace bent rim, and it still isn't anything compared to yours performance wise I'm sure. Mine rides and feels as close as I could imagine to it being new, but it is still at the bottom of the engine foodchain as it was from the beginning.

Problem I think you would have is getting someone with that cash to drop on a non-turbo car. Will it loan value for that? plus someones cash maybe. Not saying it aint worth it. That was the point of the beginning of this thread, in other words, I wish I had spent $8500 up front on yours instead of adding up to that in mine and ending up with less car.

Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by yellowline
That's an amazing low-end torque gain. The S in my sig was weaker off the line than my 8v car.
It really is.... something you can't read from a dyno chart is partial throttle driving. This are is amazing during every day driving. The chip is probably the best mod on the car!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:57 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtccl
I've got your buy it now price invested in my 88 n/a with base price, head gasket, clutch, axles, replace bent rim, and it still isn't anything compared to yours performance wise I'm sure. Mine rides and feels as close as I could imagine to it being new, but it is still at the bottom of the engine foodchain as it was from the beginning.

Problem I think you would have is getting someone with that cash to drop on a non-turbo car. Will it loan value for that? plus someones cash maybe. Not saying it aint worth it. That was the point of the beginning of this thread, in other words, I wish I had spent $8500 up front on yours instead of adding up to that in mine and ending up with less car.

Good Luck!
Honestly, I thought I would get flamed for my initial asking price. But, I am VERY surprise people respect it. I have just as much in mods as I do in my asking price. I was lucky to get such a strong car to build on.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Jesse:

You should be proud of the work you've done. Car looks cherry. You have been the strongest advocate for NA cars on the list (IMO).

With your deployment, It sounds like you have bigger fish to fry and have moved on. Just don't do anything rash and sell it for anything less than you want (financial considerations separate).

Most of all, be safe.

Michael
Old 03-27-2007, 05:04 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ninefofo
You should be proud of the work you've done. Car looks cherry. You have been the strongest advocate for NA cars on the list (IMO).
Looks are deceiving. Honestly, it's not a looker. The future buyer of his car is buying it for the engine.... not really for anything else. That's not too say it's a POS... just stating the truth. I'd rather drop $2500 in performance and beat an S2 on an autoX course than dropping it on a paint job.

Originally Posted by Ninefofo
With your deployment, It sounds like you have bigger fish to fry and have moved on. Just don't do anything rash and sell it for anything less than you want (financial considerations separate).
won't happen.... if it doesn't sell for what I want... it doesn't sell, period. I have too much time and money in the car to let it go "cheap".

thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jesse,

Sorry to hear you're selling the S. Good luck with the sale. When are you getting deployed? Any word on the future of the yellow car? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Substitute *** kickin' NA for cherry. My bad. Good luck on all fronts. Michael

Quick Reply: Modded '88 944S FS Feeler - now on ebay