Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 power

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:31 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Shea
Well i just finished cutting up an Acura intake i got off evilbay for like 25 bucks and ran the intake down into the header, it was really easy. Now i just need to find a filter that will fit under the header panel.
a 3" filter will fit fine

Originally Posted by Dan Shea
Jesse- what exhaust are you running? I'm going to try and make a custom 2.5 to replicate the SFR one. With a deleted cat and the borla muffler.
I have the SFR exhaust, header back. Deletng the cat, may not do anything for you, you may even lose power. Get a high-flow cat... the one from SFR is excellent!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:41 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rberry951
I'm glad you posted this Eric. I've been telling people for years not to go cone filter unless it's routed outside the engine compartment, and they just keep looking at me like I'm crazy... You, and many others have proven this fact over and over. Sucking in hot air is bad.

I have seen a lot of S2 dyno sheets with different mods. The biggest single HP generating mod seems to be exhaust from what I have seen so far.

Regards,
Russell
Having a cone filter inside the engine compartment is not a detriment in a 968. The air in the front area of the engine compartment reduces to ambient temp. as soon as the car begins moving.

The aero charateristics of a car on a dyno vs on the road are very different. A simple test of measuring the temp. gradient between air under the hood and ambient under real world situations will definatively tell you if you are sucking in hot air. I encourage someone with an S2 to try this test and report the results.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

how would one do this test?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:43 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

You just need a digital thermometer with an extension for the sensor. They sell these at home improvement stores. Some have a dual temp readout that are meant to measure indoor/outdoor temps. Put the remote sensor in the area that you want to measure and just compare that to ambient under different driving conditions. Very simple and effective.

I measured the gradient in the engine compartment, inside the intake/filter/MAF with stock filter and with cone filter. The results were ZERO difference in temp. within seconds of the car moving from a stop regardless of filter/setup. Too many people make the assumption that you will suck in hot air without actually testing it. The same fallacy was being communicated in some 968 related discussions without any fact backing the supposition. Classic example of an internet myth...

Quick Reply: S2 power